Acriflavine or methylene blue to prevent fungus in fish eggs?

gcalberto

So I recently got a batch of eggs from a apistogramma agassizii pair i have and I wanted to use something to help prevent fungus from forming and/or spreading to the healthy eggs. 

Which product should I use? I currently have acriflavine and methylene blue. 

Can I use both without risk damaging the eggs? 

Methylene blue is an old-school way to prevent fungus on eggs. I have no experience with acriflavine so don't have any comments on it. Some people also use neocaridina shrimp in the same tank as the eggs and they'll eat eggs that aren't viable.

2 minutes ago, ange said:

Methylene blue is an old-school way to prevent fungus on eggs. I have no experience with acriflavine so don't have any comments on it. Some people also use neocaridina shrimp in the same tank as the eggs and they'll eat eggs that aren't viable.

Do you have any other treatments you recommend? 

Probably the best option now if you want to maximize hatch rate is the Ziss Egg Tumbler or methylene blue. Note that I don't have experience with the egg tumbler, but it's VERY well-reviewed by many forum members.

Another option that I forgot to mention is that some people will use a pipette to remove eggs that aren't viable (similar to how shrimp can eat them). All of these choices are likely to work but some will have better results than others.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve always used meth blue, but I’ve started to use H2O2. Downside to it is you have to redose it every 10-12 hours. But don’t ask me the dose I’m still working on figuring it out. But I’m trying 5 ml per 10 gals currently. But it will kill a biological filter so it can only be used in egg hatching tank.