URGENT getting new tank.

Robinlikescories

It can work, make sire to add all 5 bettas at the same time and make sure they all have similarly sized fins. This can be a pretty difficult setup to pull off so i wouldn't recommend it unless you already have experience keeping fish.

Most importantly, don't add the fish the same day you set up the tank. You say you have another tank, so i assume you have experience keeping fish, if not make sure to research cycling tanks.

• Like 2

@Robinlikescoriesdo you have a couple other tanks or vessels on hand? The reason I ask is you may end up with a dominant female or one that is getting bullied and you may need to put them in another container for a bit. Some folks will put betta females in “timeout “ in a breeder box if they misbehaved. Rescaping to set new territories also is a strategy similar to what cichlid folks do. The original 5 females may not be the 5 you end up with in your sorority. It’s trial and error. Excited to see your build and after you’ve stocked up. Consider making a journal of the tank. 

• Like 1

When I tried a betta sorority, I quarantined each in her own breeder box with them all next to each other so they got used to seeing each other, and I rearranged the breeder boxes every couple days.  I had someone help me and we added all of them at exactly the same time.  Later when I wanted to add 2 more, I put all of the originals back in breeder boxes for the last week of QT so they could all be put in at the same time.   I never had visible aggression or injury to the bettas.

Everything looks good. I generally recommend against betta sororities - it's not that they can't work, it's that they often don't for reasons that are completely out of the aquarist's control. An aggressive female (or, worse, several aggressive females) can end up wrecking the group. I had a group of 6 that did well for over a year until one day the alpha killed the other five, with no changes made to the tank that I know of.

I'd just have a plan B in place to separate the bettas out if you need to!

• Like 1