Endlers with a Betta?

CalmedByFish

My endlers never bothered the betta in the tank. They do race, chase, and do their flare dance at molly males and guppy males, but I've never seen them hurt anyone.

My endlers are also so fast a betta would need really good luck to grab one. I never saw my betta show any interest in them at all.

• Thanks 1

On 12/14/2021 at 6:44 PM, PineSong said:

My endlers never bothered the betta in the tank. 

My endlers are also so fast a betta would need really good luck to grab one.

I've been wanting a blue betta for years, thinking I can't do it while I have my bratty angel. But if I could put one with the endlers...

On 12/14/2021 at 7:19 PM, PineSong said:

It's worth a try as long as you could return the betta to the LFS or house him in another setup if he did not agree with Endlers.

I'm sure the solution would be another setup. But to make sure that's possible, I'll delay getting a betta for the moment.

I did look around online though, seeing if I could land a betta I'm sure to like the color of. Doesn't seem possible, so I guess I'll see what I can find out about local fish stores. (If I have to, I'll do big box. That feels like perpetuating misbehavior though.)

On 12/14/2021 at 8:30 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I'm sure the solution would be another setup. But to make sure that's possible, I'll delay getting a betta for the moment.

I did look around online though, seeing if I could land a betta I'm sure to like the color of. Doesn't seem possible, so I guess I'll see what I can find out about local fish stores. (If I have to, I'll do big box. That feels like perpetuating misbehavior though.)

It's a tough dilemma. I bought fish from the worst fish store imaginable and could not decide whether I had done wrong or at least for the fish I was able to bring home, had done right 😞 I have never gone back because it feels more like wrong, although I am sure my red endlers appreciate leaving with me that day.

On 12/16/2021 at 3:26 AM, Robinlikescories said:

My endlers are so smug, bratty and grumpy that it would be a bad idea to put them in with a Betts sorority tank.

Interesting, and a good heads-up. I have an angel that started out acting like a community fish, then morphed into a yappy ankle-biter ate age 4-5. The differences in a single fish are interesting, let alone the differences in a single species.

I'll definitely have a back up plan when I finally am able to have a betta.