Dechlorinater recommendation

Gideyon

@Gideyon; I use Tetra's Aqua Safe Plus to dechlorinate water for my hardwater fish and RO/DI water for my blackwater fish. If I'm setting up a new tank, I'll use the measuring cap on the bottle after I've filled up the tank. If I'm putting water in one-gallon jugs for water changes, I'll use a medicine dropper to put 8 drops of the Aqua Safe Plus in a jug before filling it with water and let it sit until the next water change, I have 12 gallons of water reserved for two 10 G tanks. 

• Like 1

Don't worry. I don't think Fritz Complete really does anything to ammonia. Neither does anything else you can pour into your aquarium. See articles regarding Prime at aquariumscience.org.

I know lots of folks believe what is on the label, but I think the chemist who writes the articles at aquariumscience.org is correct.

But I think even the manufacturer only claims it detoxifies ammonia temporarily.

On 12/14/2021 at 8:52 PM, Gideyon said:

When it says it detoxifies nitrates, is that temporary?  I don't want to lose nitrates 

The label makes unverifiable claims of detoxifies ammonia and nitrates. Personally I don't believe that. I think that is just marketing. It does dechlorinate the water and thats all I care about.

Edited by DaveO
  • Like 2

On 12/14/2021 at 11:37 PM, HH Morant said:

I know lots of folks believe what is on the label, but I think the chemist who writes the articles at aquariumscience.org is correct.

Fascinating content. But I'm curious... who is the author, and what are their "credentials"?  I couldn't find it anywhere. 

I found it interesting when he says Prime is perfectly fine for dechlorination. Only use sodium thiosulfate. But later says that Prime uses sodium dithionate. So is that an exception?