Swim bladder disease has turned into giant purple bruise

2000tetras

I noticed one of my manacapuru angelfish was breathing hard and swimming at a downward angle. He has a bit of swelling in the center of his body on both sides. Looking at scalar anatomy this is where the swim bladder is. 

I quarantined him and dosed furan 2 as I assume he might have an infected swim bladder. Has anyone ever experienced this?

I recently treated 2 wild caught angels in the same tank for what looked like an early external hexamita infection. I will chexk to see if it is safe to mix furan 2 with metro.

8327F25F-3B01-40B8-9DF6-CFBA38D6AE62.jpeg

Edited by 2000tetras
More information

It could be swim bladder that can be caused by constipation or over eating and the stomach putting pressure on the swim bladder or bacterial infections  I would treat with Epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for no more than 15 minutes 2-3 times a day as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxants to help relieve pressure on the swim bladder and you can use metroplex with furan2 if your using furan2 to treat the water column and metroplex in food as the active ingredient is metronidazole that treats hexamita

Screenshot_20210815-162016~2.png

Edited by Colu

While the fish might be in distress; i do not think the 'swelling' is related; one of my largest angels has similar 'swelling' and has no issues at all - he is also kind of 'fat' and needs a diet (alas everyone else would starve if i put him on a diet); anyway i'm not sure there is any relationship between the swelling and fish illness.

In my case the 'swelling' has been there for over a year and this angle is extremely large - far larger than the other males i have - i know his full history since i raised him from this:

baby_angels.jpg.d030295d70ae5d61928ce4637d8fac51.jpg

Alas i did not have room for his gold brothers who were equally large (the black one are smaller).

Edited by anewbie

It could be a permanent swim bladder injury in that case chances of recovery are small @xXInkedPhoenixXhad a black neon tetra with long term swim bladder issue that recovered it tuck a long time I wouldn't dose any more meds I would just add some aquarium salt directly to his tank 1 table spoon for 2 gallons if he's still eating and see how he does over the course of week or two if you feel that he is suffering you might won't to consider euthanizeing him with clove oil 

@Colu is right, my Neon made a recovery- mine appeared to have been some sort of injury to their side or maybe it was a secondary side effect- I'll never really know. I was determinded that as long as they were swimming vertically I wouldn't give up on them- so after medicating all I did was clean water and target fed them blood worms. Now I can't tell Verti from the others. My thread probably isn't too helpful but here it is:

Black Neon Swimming Vertically? What I've done so far....

It could also be liver disease and liver disease can cause enlargement of the liver that could prevent proper function of the swim bladder.  Worsening liver disease can cause clotting malfunction and enlargement, which could also cause the thickness you’re seeing.  Clotting disorders can cause spontaneous bruising, or excessive bruising with only the tiniest trauma, like bumping against things while trying to right itself.

If the bruising worsens quickly or other symptoms worsen, it might be time to consider euthanasia.  If you can get the fish to eat, that’s really your only chance of resolving liver dysfunction.  The liver has remarkable regenerative capacity, but it needs building blocks (nutrients) to do that.  I have tube fed medication to fish, but it’s not something I would typically recommend to a lay person.  Try meds in Repashy and see if your fish will eat anything.  Maybe try without the meds first, so there isn’t an aversive reaction to the meds at the first bite.