Stocking Ideas for Single Species 75G

EVoyager31

Looks like I’m too late, the rainbow train has left the station!

My personal vote would be for the Tiger Barb tank, I’ve always heard about what a rowdy show they are and I think it would be an amazing thing to see in a big tank.

But, ok the rainbows are a good pick, too. Those look like they’d be great fish, too.

• Haha 1

On 12/14/2021 at 8:18 PM, RadMax8 said:

Looks like I’m too late, the rainbow train has left the station!

My personal vote would be for the Tiger Barb tank, I’ve always heard about what a rowdy show they are and I think it would be an amazing thing to see in a big tank.

But, ok the rainbows are a good pick, too. Those look like they’d be great fish, too.

Ha! I haven’t bought anything just yet 😜 My only issues with tigers would be 1. I love my mystery snails almost more than any fish and I think they’d be bullied and 2. I am partial to “cool” colors, and while tigers have great colors.. orange and black are not my favorite.

Only question now is where to buy fish. My local fish stores (very few of them) are expensive.. near 25-30 a pop for the bosemanis.

On 12/14/2021 at 8:11 PM, EVoyager31 said:

Probably some albino cories because they will have high contrast against my black gravel, though I worry about their little barbels.. I’ve kept them on both sand and gravel before but never on ecocomplete.. you think that would be too sharp for them?

If you ask some of the corydoras "experts" they will tell you not to keep them on anything but sand or their barbels will wear off. I can tell you from personal experience, that I have kept several species of cory on all kinds of substrates, including eco-complete, and I have never had any fish lose their barbels. Several years ago, I had posted pictures on a Facebook page of a rare species I had gotten, just to confirm the ID and I had so many nasty comments from people, including a very well known corydoras expert because they were pictured on a substrate mix of gravel, eco complete and stratum. To this day, their barbels are still there, not worn and they have even spawned for me a couple times. It wasn't much after this, that Cory put out the video where he showed the substrates they were catching corydoras down in Peru on, I went back and linked that video to the thread and that expert basically said it was false. 

Edited by Andy's Fish Den

On 12/15/2021 at 7:01 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

If you ask some of the corydoras "experts" they will tell you not to keep them on anything but sand or their barbels will wear off. I can tell you from personal experience, that I have kept several species of cory on all kinds of substrates, including eco-complete, and I have never had any fish lose their barbels. Several years ago, I had posted pictures on a Facebook page of a rare species I had gotten, just to confirm the ID and I had so many nasty comments from people, including a very well known corydoras expert because they were pictured on a substrate mix of gravel, eco complete and stratum. To this day, their barbels are still there, not worn and they have even spawned for me a couple times. It wasn't much after this, that Cory put out the video where he showed the substrates they were catching corydoras down in Peru on, I went back and linked that video to the thread and that expert basically said it was false. 

See and thats where I get screwed up with it, everyone has opinions though I do trust Cory’s word on it. I think I will end up with some corydoras and if it comes to it, I can move them to another tank. 

On 12/15/2021 at 9:21 AM, AndEEss said:

I had multiple corydoras come from an LFS where they had been kept on less than optimal substrate. They had worn their barbels off. In my sand-bottomed tank, they have all regrown them to full length. 

I am of the belief that if you kept the corys well fed to where they aren't digging down into the substrate searching for food, they will be fine. My tanks that have corys in them get fed quite heavy, so I do make sure that food gets down to them, and I also throw in some sinking wafers and sticks specifically for them several times a week. 

On 12/15/2021 at 8:21 AM, AndEEss said:

I had multiple corydoras come from an LFS where they had been kept on less than optimal substrate. They had worn their barbels off. In my sand-bottomed tank, they have all regrown them to full length. 

Maybe there was some other issue, like poor water conditions, that caused the issues with their barbels?