Hi

Rainbow

Hi I just inherited a nice 45 gal fish tank with live plants and some Rainbow fish (I think).  I am just learning about it. I hope this forum can help me. The last fish tank I had was almost 30 years ago and I was just a kid. So I am really a newbie.  I have been doing a lot of research already and learning about everything. Here is a few pics.

20211211_174606.jpg.4f29a0a86ec9ebfd5c2b26078d490767.jpg20211211_204927.jpg.12cebf20c969fd7a37430eb3a3ad6edf.jpg20211212_170346.jpg.e24ab017825a72798fa1e90018c3e712.jpg

Edited by Rainbow
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 11:22 PM, Rainbow said:

Hi I just inherited a nice 45 gal fish tank with live plants and some Rainbow fish (I think).  I am just learning about it. I hope this forum can help me. The last fish tank I had was almost 30 years ago and I was just a kid. So I am really a newbie.  I have been doing a lot of research already and learning about everything. Here is a few pics.

Good for you for doing research. This forum definitely can help, and tends to stay respectful and kind. Freely ask questions.

I'm not familiar with the species, but in that close-up pic, the fish might have scales missing, or some other kind of boo-boo. That might be worth asking about. But it's wonderfully shiny! 🙂

I know that inheriting a tank can happen in both good and bad circumstances. I won't prod, but you have my well-wishes that your situation was a good one. Either way, I'm guessing you'll find joy in having the tank. 

Edit: nuance

Edited by CalmedByFish

Welcome to the forum the rainbow in the picture are none as the red rainbow fish or salmon red rainbow fish Glossolepis incisus the females are a bit more silver the dominant male will have the deepest red  colour the other males will be paler red they are one of the bigger rainbow fish getting to around 6in 

Edited by Colu

Nice starting point  and welcome.  The biggest learning curve is about the water changes and cycling I think there are some tuition vids on the Co op site so have a watch then start the questions , as with many things better to ask than guess and I have discovered lots of people here will help you out.