Cherry Shrimp Water Changing Schedule for 75g

AdamScott

I am receiving my first batch of RCS this week but nervous about water changes. Prior to owning shrimp, I would use a python and do 30% water changes every 2-3 weeks. I understand RCS are more susceptible to death and disease with larger water changes. 

To those RCS owners out there, when would you recommend on changing water and what is the safest method using tap water/dechlorinator?

Your current schedule will be fine. I have them and change 30% weekly, no problems at all. But at first they may be a little fragile, mine were then they got used to life in my tank. Do a water change before you get them and then change in 2-3 weeks and enjoy. They're a lot of fun to watch.

I’ve not noticed any issues with large water changes with my cherry shrimp, and 30% isn’t all that large.    I routinely do 50% changes in my wife’s show /panda breeding tank.  The shrimp breed so fast I need to pull 30+ out once or twice a month.

My concern would be sucking up shrimp in the python.  I use a small siphon, and every once in a while one will get caught up.  They just aren’t that strong swimmers….