Fertilizers????

Maybe someone will answer this question that might help me understand more about plants.

I don`t see or hear about how many plants are getting just one pump of fertilizer per 10 gallons? (Easy Green)

I have 1 plant - 5 plants or 25plants.

Let's say I have a 20l with 12 plants. (Say all 12 are low light - does that make any difference? (I`m not talking about roots tabs, maybe I should include them.) 

No matter what size tank, will the number of plants change?

I hope I`m saying this correctly.🤔

the 1 pump per 10gallons is merely a decent starting point. in a heavily planted tank you would likely end up using more, or dosing more times per week. some people use their test kits, and aim for a specific number of nitrates. i myself use the eyeball mkI. if the plants look good, and appear to be growing, im in the ball park for ferts. if they dont look happy, i up my doseage. mine isnt the most scientific method, but after a while, your eye becomes a good judge of what is needed.

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2021 at 3:54 PM, KBOzzie59 said:

One pump per 10 gallons is a starting point.

On 12/12/2021 at 5:20 PM, lefty o said:

1 pump per 10gallons is merely a decent starting point. in a heavily planted tank

Well yes, I've seen the videos, but I guess I`m stupid cause no one says how many plants in a given tank and I'm trying to put that into perception of 1 or 2 plants could be a heavily planted tank. 

So, if too much fertilizer is used then maybe get hit with algae?

😕

i would sneak up on it. say you start with the 1 pump per10g. try that for a week or three, and see how the plants do. if they dont look really happy, add another dose into the week. thing is, some plants will suck up more nutrients than others, so it is hard to make a blanket statement that is accurate. if you ease your way into it, maybe the plants wont thrive, but you should keep them alive while you sneak up on the amount they like.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 6:10 PM, lefty o said:

i would sneak up on it. say you start with the 1 pump per10g. try that for a week or three, and see how the plants

I was going to leave this alone but, please give me an example of say a 20l with not too many or a lot of plants, would the type of plant matter?

Will a plant use the nutrients fast or slow? (Must be slow, to see what happens in a week.)

I know what you're thinking grow rocks instead.😮

growing rocks work, but them suckers almost always get algae on em! the type of plant, and size of the plant can matter. i know, im real specific lol, but its like asking how much do you feed all dogs without saying the dog is a  20# ankle biter or a 90# german shepherd. the nutrient requirements are not the same. something like an anubia or a java fern, will take in less nutrients than an amazon sword of similar size. something like floating duckweed, will suck up nutrients like they are going out of style. it really is all variable. an absolute definitive answer would be great if i could give you one, but it just does not exist.

• Thanks 1