That feeling when only one of your stems didn't rot

Lexi B

On 12/11/2021 at 5:53 PM, Guppysnail said:

Once settled pennywort grows fast. Soon enough you can cut it in half so they each have one. 

I've noticed! The other healthy plant has put off many new leaves and I've only had it a week 🙂

I'm always happy when at least one stem/plant survives. Pretty soon that one will provide enough plants to fill a tank. I bought 25 jungle Val through eBay a while back and only one plant survived, but it's now about fifty plants from the runners it's put out, so it was a win. Sure, I lost 24 plants, but I gained a lot more later from the one that survived, so it balances out.

We had a local fish store that was run out of a couple's enclosed back porch (Evan's Tropical Fish) and they had great success with Water Sprite. They would just add a small plantlet to each bag of fish you bought. It probably took me five years to get some of their Water Sprite to live in my tanks, but once it did I had more Water Sprite than I knew what to do with.

These days I try to buy plants in multiples and spread them out to various tanks and hope they live in one. If they'll live in just one of the tanks, they'll eventually spawn enough new plants to spread them everywhere. Probably ten or fifteen years ago I bought a little tissue-culture cup of Anubias Nana Petite. I've got it everywhere now. Even rafts of it floating in tanks where I don't have room to plant it. There's probably $300 worth of Anubias Nana Petite now in my tanks from that one little cup of it. If you can get just one stem to live, it'll repay you many times over. It's the getting that one stem/plant to live that can be challenging sometimes.

• Like 1