Small leaved rhyzome plants

Mr Gumby

Need a few options for leaves on my treeIMG_20211210_084411111_HDR.jpg.bc8a85a4db3f56613cfe6431357df8b6.jpg

Ignore the hornwort it's just there temporarily.

I'm thinking a Anubius nana petite type of plant or maybe a small buce species but it will be very close to the light and algae could be an issue.

I had Java moss which looked great but shaded too much unless I constantly trimmed it and that gets messy and I'm lazy. Waiting for my wall of rotala to grow in at the back 😁

On 12/10/2021 at 10:59 AM, Guppysnail said:

If you go with nana petite position it so the flat surface of the leaves are facing away from the light forward or sideways. It will eventually reorient itself but by then it should be growing strong enough to avoid major algae issues. That’s what I do with all my anubias. It works well. 

So attach the rhyzome under the branch??

I also was going to suggest pearl weed, but the trimming aspect, of course, isn't ideal for your situation. Another not-rhizome (sorry, I know that's what you asked for) could be hydrocotyle tripartita, but I don't think it would get dense enough for the look you're going for. A. nana petite probably is your best bet, then - unless you find a cheap supply of buce!

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 4:33 PM, Mr Gumby said:

Ideally I'd love something that hung down for a willow type effect but I don't think that's possible??

depends exactly the look you are going for, but the anubia roots will shoot down, and sort of provide that willow effect.

• Like 1

@Mr Gumby I was also going to suggest a weeping moss.  Mini weeping moss grows slower than some mosses and would be a pretty good candidate for this project.  You can sometimes find bigger rhizomes of Buces from private sellers on Band for decent prices.  These can be divided into multiple small pieces.  Buyer beware on Band, though.  Some sellers are very good, some are iffy.

• Like 1

I am excited to see what you choose to do. I would use the weeping moss but I'm sure you'd probably have shading issues with it similar to the java moss and have to groom it as well. I have Christmas moss on my spiderwood and the tufts that are closest to the light grow a bit of hair algae, but it doesn't bother me all that much. Had I known exactly where to buy weeping moss, I would have done that instead of christmas moss.

PXL_20211209_160324602.jpg.6906f74e0bfbec398dc70ad1e5dd9640.jpg