Heaters, do you need one

Mr Gumby

Just posted this to a UK forum I'm on so apologies in advance to you guys from the US for Celsius and litres and yes I did get the idea from one of @Cory live streams so I doth my cap to you sir.

Hi all, just wanted to share this with you as it might help.
I'm currently running a little experiment on my 230 where I basically turned my heater off 2 days ago to see if I actually need it at all.
So far the minimum temperature I've seen is 23.5 degrees, max 24.8.
Full disclosure, I am working from home still so if something looks iffy I can turn it back on in a timely manner.
Room stat is set to 20 and heating on from 6am to 10am then 4pm to 11pm.

Obviously some of you keep fish that need higher temperatures but a lot of community fish are perfectly happy at 22 and are fine as low as 20.

Essentially what I'm saying is do your research and don't panic when your heater dies.

Also I will add smaller water volumes will lose temperature faster so maybe don't do this on your smaller tanks

Hope that helps some people

On 12/10/2021 at 8:17 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I don't run heaters in any of my tanks. Today they tested between 76.5 and 78.5 (5 tanks, Fahrenheit of course). They never run below 74 and if they did I'd probably run a heater to come on around then. This has never been an issue for me. I keep heaters on standby for fishy first aid, that's about it. 

Exactly, however I will add with some jealousy you guys in the US are at an advantage with weather in some areas and large tanks in general appear to be massively cheaper than in Europe.

I hate hearing about dollar a gallon sales grrrr!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I use a heater it is only set at 22C.  I probably don't need it however if I am out or I go away my heating stays off so it protects them against my miserly nature.  At the moment I do notice the heater is on at 7 when I get up but the household heating is off at night. 

I only bought the heater to help deal with an outbreak of ICK with my goldfish as it takes far to long to eradicate at low temps.  I'd probably only consider running without if this one breaks.  

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 9:15 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I use a heater it is only set at 22C.  I probably don't need it however if I am out or I go away my heating stays off so it protects them against my miserly nature.  At the moment I do notice the heater is on at 7 when I get up but the household heating is off at night. 

I only bought the heater to help deal with an outbreak of ICK with my goldfish as it takes far to long to eradicate at low temps.  I'd probably only consider running without if this one breaks.  

My long term goal is to just run two sponge filters so step 1 was to see temperature with no heater. Step 2 is to see temperature with no canister running.

I run a biomaster thermo as I prefer not to have a heater in the tank for aesthetics

No heaters, but I live in S. Texas where its mostly hot. For instance today we're expecting a high of 91f(33c). 

I keep my ac set warmer than most at 77f(25c). My tanks are usually at 73f(23c) to 75f(24c). 

My livestock are mostly Live-bearers, Goodeieds, P. Velifera, endlers, a few white clouds, scarlet Badis, and a trio of Pygmy Sunfish. Everyone seems happy and are breeding.

i typically do not run heaters. most tropical community fish do fine in temperatures that are comfortable to you. if oyu can tolerate the temps in the room, theyll be fine.  i dont keep those fish that do require to be kept over 80f, but in general most fish do fine in the mid 60's to mid 80's.

• Like 1

I have heaters in my tanks because I live in Minnesota where it gets really cold and I keep my furnace thermostat set at 63-65 degrees. I might be able to go without in the summertime, but I have my heaters set at 77-80 degrees F so they only turn on if the water temp drops below that.

• Like 1