Plants

BuzzDaddy21

On 12/8/2021 at 9:25 AM, BuzzDaddy21 said:

I actually threw in trash, felt bad so now in sink. I see the rhizome part I think but what does black roots mean?

For java fern that is normal; you can bury them or attach them to decoration (driftwood,rocks, ...).

In most cases ammonia will be 0 till you add fishes as it is produced by fish waste. Not sure where the nitrite is from. Not sure what you are putting in the tank to cause nitrate; 10ppm is a bit high for a new tank (not bad or harmful just not what i usually see).

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2021 at 9:25 AM, BuzzDaddy21 said:

I actually threw in trash, felt bad so now in sink. I see the rhizome part I think but what does black roots mean?

If the rhizome is green an firm it may come back, slowly.  Make sure you are using a quality liquid fertilizer made aquarium plants. You can also add a few hearty fish or maybe some shrimp.  

• Thanks 1

Just want to throw this in here. Java fern is often grown emerged (above water). If your fern had new baby plants growing on the leaves the above water grown adult leaves sometimes turn to “Swiss cheese” to feed the baby plants growing submersed because the leaves grown above ground are not as effective when submersed. I have this happen to about half the Java fern I buy in emerged growth form. Sometimes it doesn’t most of the time it does. If no baby plants are growing on the leaves disregard  this info. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi all, still trying to save Java ferns.

Also still trying to get pictures, (I have lots of pictures, can`t get them on to computer - maybe I`ll just become a drunk instead.)

Just got more plants from co-op today, they look great. (I will try and keep alive.)

Thinking about adding a few small fish/snails in three tanks?

Hope everyone is having a great week.  

@BuzzDaddy21 I’ve found Java Fern to be tricky. I’ve found they definitely go through an initial adjustment phase where they might get some black spots and holes in the leaves while growing baby plants from the tips of the leaves. For some plants this process takes months. Using a good comprehensive fertilizer like easy green is a must. I also add extra potassium via API leaf zone. I’ve read that Java Ferns like extra potassium and it does seem to help. 

I also have some Java Ferns that never went through the initial acclimation process, but 4-5 months later they are losing leaves like crazy but also putting out new ones. It’s weird but might just be an extended part of the acclimation process. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/9/2021 at 5:12 PM, anewbie said:

I find java fern grows too large; i'm tired of it filling up my aquariums from side to side top to bottom. I think we should just boycott ferns. I mean who wants ferns growing everywhere ?

My Water sprite occasionally gets too large.  When it does I just toss it in the trash.  There are always plenty of small plants to replace it.

• Sad 1

@BuzzDaddy21I always start with the snails, they are great for cycling and testing tanks. If you do get fish (because we are all impulsive and push the limits) choose a hardy breed and a smallish number - I don't recall how big this tank is but around 6 of a schooling shoaling fish like lambchop rasboras or cherry barbs should do ok and not bomb the tank with nutrients. If you don't have floating plants get some to sop up the excess nutrients. Keep your test kit handy and water change frequently in the beginning. Have fun and let us know how it goes. 

Plant-wise with java fern I aggressively prune them, I also brush off all the gunk that they get at the base of the stem and rhizome as it collects a lot of junk. I like for them to have partial exposure to light not all the way or for there to be a bit of shade from a rock or piece of wood. I did have a period where I was replacing potassium with the other ferts and I did find they liked that just got lazy and stopped once they adjusted and took off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1