GB Ram with strange red dot

ReneeB

Hello All,  I’m hoping someone might be able to help me out and tell me what is going on with my German Blue Ram.  I’m not sure if it’s a he or she but this is my 2nd Ram to develop this red pimple/tumor looking thing before the gill and just after the mouth(see pictures)  It’s other Ram tank mate is older and seems just fine along with the Discus and neon tetra’s. I have a qt tank ready if it’s something treatable. I tried looking online not much help there.  Any idea or assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

8CA74232-0C57-4D20-934D-F260A3EE7AB8.jpeg

765D12F3-C44D-4128-B2D0-381FF3114F43.jpeg

6B572877-7EC3-47E5-8F46-996BC2A9A5BA.jpeg

E021D66A-6520-46F9-9A84-B5AE43E63538.jpeg

• Like 1

Very sorry to hear / see this. I love GBRS, and we've bred and raised up hundreds of them. Sometimes growths are genetic. We've had a few occasions where something about the genetics passed along rendered certain rams weak. Now, if this growth is some sort of septic issue, you'll want to seriously consider rethinking how your tank water is filtered and kept clean. Weekly water changes of 20% - 30% can be helpful. Also, if those are all artificial plants, you might benefit greatly from moving in live plants to naturally filter water. Once a tank is old enough, there is enough mulm / nutrients built up in the substrate to feed plant roots.

If you've not performed a check on your water parameters, you probably should do so. Especially since this is the 2nd time you've seen something like this -- If I'm understanding you correctly.

I like to use Fritz Complete for treating my tap water. It purports to lock up a lot of chems in your water, which may allow things to catch up and breathe.

Your fish may be dealing with hemorrhagic septicemia... perhaps tumors... maybe something else. If it's genetic, there's nothing you can do. If it's an external infection, you can treat according to its type: bacterial infections can be treated with E. M. Erythromycin. But the best long term response if probably cleaning up your water, adding more live plants, etc.

At an initial glance, it appears like you've got 2x nice females . . .

• Like 1

Thank you so much.  Yes you are correct this is the 2nd Ram the 1st was a Golden Ream which came together with one of our GBR’s she’s still healthy and not showing any signs of developing that red growth.  We have a Fluval 305 canister filtration and a bio sponge in the back. Temp has been a constant 84f. I was considering lowering it to 80-82 our discus seem to be 3-4 inches now.  

• Like 1

I agreed with @Fish Folk I would treat with antibiotic medication kanaplex is a more broad spectrum antibiotic and aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons  that will help reduce the lump if it's something like a fluid filled cyst just remember to only put the amount of salt back in that you take out if you do 2 gallon water change put 1 table spoon back in

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1