Pre-filter sponge PPI

AndyP

I'm looking at the listing for the pr-filter sponge and the listings all sat 20-25 PPI. I'm trying to get something coarser than the sponge inside the Aquaclear 110 I am using.  The Internet says the Aquaclear sponge is 20 ppi.

The intake sponges seem a lot coarser than the Aquaclear sponges.

One thing I wish prefilters had was some kind of plastic cage around them so you could grab then and remove them without touching the sponge.

I have the Eheim prefilter on my Eheim canister, and I love it.

Germany EHEIM Original Built in Pre filter For Aquarium With EHEIM  Biochemical Filter Cotton Used With Filter Barrel|Filters & Accessories| -  AliExpress750 × 482

It doesn't even need to have openings that small.  Just a some kind of cage around the sponge.

In one of my breeding tubs in my garage I put some lava rocks and sponges into a mason jar and stuffed the intake of my Aquaclear 70 into it. Works awesome. 

I'd been using some 30 ppi I had lying around but its much too fine. I think 10 - 15ppi is ideal. I am switching everything to 10 ppi. 

I have seen people use the plastic planters plants come in for small filters as a prefilter cage. 

I bought a Marineland prefilter for their new PRO filter line from my LFS. It fit on the Aqualcear 110 lift tube nice and snug, but it's porosoity is way too fine. It's been 24 hours and I can see the sponge is pretty clogged up and my flow is reduced. I'm sure the sponge in the filter is probably spotless right now.