A flumpweesels wanderings (formally -Neolithic Stone Circle anyone)

Flumpweesel

@PineSong @Patrick_G well I'll meet you both for coffee (or tea if you are doing the full Brit experience) when you make it. 

I don't live in Cumbria anymore but I'm still close enough for it to be an afternoon out.  I'm impressed it's got your attention the print of Ambleside made me smile the North of England feels very underappreciated in global tourism because London grabs everyone as soon as they land and few make it to us. You can fly direct to Manchester now I believe though.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 4:34 PM, Patrick_G said:

Yes, American vacations are typically two weeks or less so I suspect most of us don’t get to far north. 

Makes sense with two weeks you have to focus on the "must see" rather than the lets just have a look. To do everything would be exhausting.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

So I thought I'd pick this up again and throw out some more images of the British countryside cause it's pretty great a times and I am lucky enough to be able to get out and enjoy it and I hope you will to. And let me know if there is anywhere you have always wanted to visit  - no promises but its nice to get suggestions helps you see new places. 

I would also like to see your pictures so feel free to show me what I'm missing out on over here.

I open with Brimham Rocks demonstrating the beauty of erosion these are in North Yorkshire 

P1050995.JPG.d5cbb2bb0cf13ce21beb6b0be3188384.JPGP1050984.JPG.f51a1a675aa42c91eb3283077a7fef46.JPGP1050944.JPG.af51221896fa2b3c74e4b77ee619afeb.JPGP1070003.JPG.7a3cfaaf7663e23c1d1ac12715624fa0.JPG

• Love 6

yesterday I was taken for drive around the Trough of Bowland and saw a big stone . Also spotted grouse and hares but they were moving to fast for photo's 

This is the Great Stone of Four Stones 

image.jpeg.af402730ec8f5b5775d7f32e5dc2aad2.jpeg

The hills are Whernside, Inglebrough and Pen-Y-Gent 

image.jpeg.0b849860514a84f4fc4b00311b693c25.jpeg

image.jpeg.ce09583a8a09934a4fd8c991ec6a52f2.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Beautiful pics! We’re headed in that  general direction for a canal boat holiday next May. We’ve booked a boat out of a marina South of Manchester and plan on cruising slowly to Chester. Maybe we’ll get a chance to explore the NW and Pennines when we’re there. 
28EB4A87-E39C-47AB-9FA5-7E001019F90E.jpeg.3254139314214579499f07fc0d86a4f9.jpeg

• Love 2

@Patrick_GWow what an unusual holiday choice  but a great way to see a landscape change from modern through to Roman (if you go to see the bits at Chester). How did you land on that tour? 

Hope you get good weather, I think there was a TV series that covered that route Shropshire Union Canal isn't it.I'll have to see if I can find you a link. 

• Like 2

On 7/28/2022 at 11:33 PM, Flumpweesel said:

How did you land on that tour? 

I’m a wooden boat restoration tradesman and years ago a co-worker did a canal boat holiday. He gave a presentation at the wooden boat museum we were working at and I’ve wanted to do it ever since. 

The section going to Chester is indeed a branch of the Shropshire Union. We chose this section because our vacation club has a program where we can swap for a holiday at another club or location. It’s rare for a canal boat week to be available so I decided we would take a gamble on the weather in late May. 

I’ve been watching canal boat YouTube, including the one that’s on Netflix here in the US. I got my wife watching and I thought she would be bored out of her mind, but she’s actually enjoying it. 

• Like 4

On 7/30/2022 at 5:28 PM, Patrick_G said:

gamble on the weather

It's always a gamble in the UK. After the heatwave the other week it's been raining ever since.I rate a summer in how many days I don't take a coat or brolly out with me. May is often pretty nice. The canal series I was thinking of is called "Great Canal Journeys" it was for channel 4 here but series 9 episode 3 looks to be the right area if you can find it. Pru and Tim hosting are British TV greats.

I think looking at the canal you'll be about an hour away from at pretty much all times while your traveling.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2022 at 3:36 PM, Flumpweesel said:

The canal series I was thinking of is called "Great Canal Journeys" it was for channel 4 here but series 9 episode 3 looks to be the right area if you can find it. Pru and Tim hosting are British TV greats.

I’m having trouble finding a legal way to watch the particular episode, but there are plenty I can watch so thanks for the tip. The presenters are gems! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2022 at 8:03 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

My wife and I are addicted to Escape to the Country so this was a total delight @Flumpweesel. She’s a kiwi and her dad did his architecture degree in England so we’re kind of Anglophile’s. Tea and biscuits  always available when you come this way! 

I'm sure New Zealand is much nicer although our geology is much more stable.

And a welcome isn't meant if tea isn't offered.  And a good brew biscuit can turn a day around.

I find escape to country hilarious I always wonder how long they will last. (The revisit shows are fun to). 

• Love 1

Yeah I agree would love some disastrous after shows. Mostly the after shows I’ve seen are successes.We always comment on Jules deep V with his shirts, jumper or coat. 

Wife’s family are Scottish emigres we’ve threatened a tour of Scotland, Wales and Ireland for a couple years. I’m thinking our 10 year anniversary so I have 3 more years to plan.

On 8/26/2022 at 8:32 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Yeah I agree would love some disastrous after shows. Mostly the after shows I’ve seen are successes.We always comment on Jules deep V with his shirts, jumper or coat. 

Wife’s family are Scottish emigres we’ve threatened a tour of Scotland, Wales and Ireland for a couple years. I’m thinking our 10 year anniversary so I have 3 more years to plan.

Well you can't see them without at least passing through England. The route between Scotland and Wales has some great countryside no matter what route you take. If you have questions at the planning stage feel free to ask.

I've never been to Ireland but I do have family there. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...