What is This Film on the Water Surface?

Hi All!

I recently added some anacharis to my tank and now I have a kind of film on the top of the water around the plants. Admittedly, I didn't treat the plants before I added them to the tank because they came from a reputable source and I wanted the snails (if any) for the peas I have in the tank. It almost looks like an oil slick. 

What could this be and do I need to be concerned? 

PXL_20211205_022247087.MP.jpg

PXL_20211205_022401465.MP.jpg

• Like 1

It is biofilm. It’s normal.  If there is neither much it’s not a big deal.  The amount in your tank you don’t have a problem. If it was to cover the whole top that would be an issue. If you are in the habit putting your hands oils can come from there. I also see that it is mostly are round the one plant on the top. It also looks like the plant is melting away and that can speed the process up but in would not be concerned. When you like on google they make it seem like the worst thing there is. That you have to remove everything an boil everything or treat with this or that. I would a water change at the most. I think more people will agree or but similarly unconcerned 

Edited by Brandon p
  • Like 1

It is oils along with other organic materials. It’s natural. It also comes of the skin if you use your hands on the tank. It’s not bad especially in the amounts in this tanks. You are most like to see this in in dead spots or slow flow areas in your aquarium. That is why most filtration will disturb the surface of the water. If your tank has a a very heavy layer21DA3E4B-221B-4196-9EB8-471967963FFC.jpeg.de806a9ca782fda56604722c3918b33b.jpeglike this or worst, it will affect the oxygen exchange with the water. It slow down oxygen getting in and CO2 getting out. Here’s why some is ok. Your fish snails, and especially shrimp eat this. Every see a snail scooting across the top of the water? That’s what is eating.