Let's talk about Popeye (and no, not the cartoon) :-)

xXInkedPhoenixX

So until this last week I'd never experienced Popeye in any form. Sadly one of my Tiger Otos appears to have gotten a unilateral (1 eye) case of Popeye which per many people and the internet is more likely caused by an injury. So he's in solitary being dosed with Maracyn and Aquarium Salt (IME salt has never negatively affected my Otos). I feel so bad for the poor thing but hopefully I'll get them on the mend. 

The internet doesn't really talk about how long to treat (as healing can take weeks or months) or what you can expect as you treat a fish so I was wondering. Who here has experience with treating Popeye (unilateral or bilateral), what did you do, how did you treat it, how long did you treat it, did you keep the fish isolated the whole time, when did you release it, did it recover, how long did it take? Any input would be great- as there has not been a lot of general discussion about the disease just for specific intances. I think sharing our experiences on a general thread about it could help others who come here in a panic about it. 

20211202_1511041.jpg

• Sad 1

On 12/5/2021 at 10:02 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

So until this last week I'd never experienced Popeye in any form. Sadly one of my Tiger Otos appears to have gotten a unilateral (1 eye) case of Popeye which per many people and the internet is more likely caused by an injury. So he's in solitary being dosed with Maracyn and Aquarium Salt (IME salt has never negatively affected my Otos). I feel so bad for the poor thing but hopefully I'll get them on the mend. 

The internet doesn't really talk about how long to treat (as healing can take weeks or months) or what you can expect as you treat a fish so I was wondering. Who here has experience with treating Popeye (unilateral or bilateral), what did you do, how did you treat it, how long did you treat it, did you keep the fish isolated the whole time, when did you release it, did it recover, how long did it take? Any input would be great- as there has not been a lot of general discussion about the disease just for specific intances. I think sharing our experiences on a general thread about it could help others who come here in a panic about it. 

20211202_1511041.jpg

Don’t know if it works but I saw a case of popeye at my local fish farm and they were treating with malachite green but it was a cichlid so I don’t know