Where Can I Buy Multies?

RyanR

If multies are so easy to breed, why are they so hard to find?  I'm going to be setting up a new aquarium in about a month and my son wants a pair of multies.  I can't find them anywhere.  I have about 4 LFS's that I checked and Aquahuna.  Does anyone have any websites they can recommend that won't change $40 for shipping?

11 minutes ago, RyanR said:

Thanks,  I searched on "neolamprologus" and "shell" and got 0 results.  I can't figure out why they are so hard to find.

Yeah that does seem weird but challenge accepted lol they have them listed you will just need to email them to make sure they are still available https://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/current-stock/

6 hours ago, RyanR said:

If multies are so easy to breed, why are they so hard to find?  I'm going to be setting up a new aquarium in about a month and my son wants a pair of multies.  I can't find them anywhere.  I have about 4 LFS's that I checked and Aquahuna.  Does anyone have any websites they can recommend that won't change $40 for shipping?

So as far as I understand it, the extremely slow growth rate makes farming them less cost effective as wild collecting them. At the moment, no one's shipping out of Africa so wholesalers are having to get stock from local breeders like me, if at all.

Wet spot may have them back in stock, but I have had 2 people last week asking me to ship them some because they couldn't get them from there and 15 a pop is kinda high. Great little fish though, even if they grow super slow. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. Ed's Aquatics said:

So as far as I understand it, the extremely slow growth rate makes farming them less cost effective as wild collecting them. At the moment, no one's shipping out of Africa so wholesalers are having to get stock from local breeders like me, if at all.

Wet spot may have them back in stock, but I have had 2 people last week asking me to ship them some because they couldn't get them from there and 15 a pop is kinda high. Great little fish though, even if they grow super slow. 

That explains a lot.  I've never heard they grow slow, but I understand.  We will.be putting them in a 20 long, so I only want to start out with probably 3.  For only 3 of them, I don't mind paying $12 or $15 each.

We might have an LFS about an hour from me in Baton Rouge that can order them.  I'm going to look into that route also.

Do you normally sell and ship fish?

6 minutes ago, RyanR said:

That explains a lot.  I've never heard they grow slow, but I understand.  We will.be putting them in a 20 long, so I only want to start out with probably 3.  For only 3 of them, I don't mind paying $12 or $15 each.

We might have an LFS about an hour from me in Baton Rouge that can order them.  I'm going to look into that route also.

Do you normally sell and ship fish?

I do sell local, but I have never shipped. If a store can order you some, that's probably better than having them shipped cross country. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

2 months later, I finally got 5 Multies last night from a sort of LFS.  They were pretty small, maybe about 1/2 inch, but they were pretty cheap. about $15 each.  They were in really good shape and we get to watch them grow.  The best part is that they said when they have fry, they will buy the fish for store credit!  The kids are super excited.

PXL_20201203_132530334.jpg

Edited by RyanR