Cooking

Streetwise

On 12/13/2021 at 11:27 AM, dasaltemelosguy said:

I remember seeing them working feverishly on Sunday's ragu. They would literally begin around 4am as a real, Calabrian "sauce" is an all-day event.

So, I've already copied this down and I'll be making it!  Actually, I feel like with his love of true Neapolitan style pizza @Fish Folk might like this recipe too.

Quick question, and this is absolutely not meant to offend or be dismissive.  After the initial browning stage, can this be transferred to a slow cooker?  I totally get if not.  My carnitas, barbacoa, and several of my tagines absolutely need to be cooked on a stove top.  They need to be cooked down and there is a maillard reaction that happen on the bottom of a pan that simply doesn't happen in a slow cooker. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@Jeff a simple but very very popular thing to do in my family is cutting the tops off of garlic bulbs (how many? depends on how many people), drizzle with olive oil and roast them- the cloves start popping out so they're easy to dig out with a cocktail/appetizer fork, squish that clove on top of a piece of sourdough or french bread, dip in olive oil and balsamic, top with a bit of fresh goat cheese. NOM. There is never anything left. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 12/18/2021 at 9:27 PM, Jeff said:

Anyone have a really good appetizer they make for the holidays, that they care to share the recipe for? Looking for something good for next week....

Cut tenderized round steak into squares about 1" or slightly larger and season to taste.  Stack a slice of onion and one of your favorite pepper on it.  I prefer poblano or cayenne, depending on the desired heat level, but jalapeno or just about any pepper will work.  Wrap with bacon and put a wooden toothpick through it all to hold it together (or put multiples on a metal skewer).  Cook on a barbecue pit, or oven broiler until done, turning at least once while cooking.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 2:44 PM, Streetwise said:

I found a cast-iron griddle in my oven drawer! How do I restore it?

If the rust is just on the surface, you can sand it down with a fine grit, then clean it with oil and season as you'd do with a new piece.

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2022 at 2:44 PM, Streetwise said:

The quick way is to remove any crusty stuff with a wire brush and then hot soapy water and a plastic brush to finish off.  After that you can coat it with a thin layer of oil and bake it in a 375 degree oven for an hour to get the seasoning started. 
The cool way is to clean it with electrolysis. I’ve bought a pan cleaned this way and it looked great! 
https://www.castironcollector.com/electrolysis.php

13785F11-6E5A-4A3C-A679-09F8CF81EA3F.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Czarista and I have started doing low carb as of the new year.   Does anyone have some go to recipes to share!

I'll drop this one here for Eggroll Casserole 

1 bag coleslaw mix (I used a head of cabbage and a couple of chopped carrots instead)
1 lb pork sausage
2 cloves garlic minced (or garlic powder)
1 tsp ground ginger
Salt / pepper to taste
1/4 c onion diced
Brown the sausage in a large skillet and add the other ingredients right on top. Cover and cook on the stovetop about 5 min on med. remove lid, stir/toss and taste. Finish to your taste/texture preference.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 1/5/2022 at 2:36 AM, GameCzar said:

The Czarista and I have started doing low carb as of the new year

Good luck my mum changed to a low carb diet a few years ago to combat steroid weight gain it has been amazing for her and she really loved her bread.  She doesn't really make anything different just doesn't have the starch portion her plate (just extra broccoli) 

She does make her own granola and has that with greek yogurt for breakfast.  And eats brie with celery and nice cured meats as an easy lunch and snack.  I think the key to success is to always have safe snack foods in to keep cravings at bay. And remember the first week is the hardest. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2022 at 12:57 PM, Patrick_G said:

Do you like Korean food? It’s mostly protein and veg based. 

😲 Korean cuisine is based on rice and noodles... Most of the side dishes (banchan) made of vegetables also have sugar in them.

Some soups and Korean-style bbq is low carb though. For the bbq just grill small pieces of meat of your choice (traditional is duck breast or pork belly), wrap them up in lettuce leaves (perilla leaves, originally) with a slice of raw garlic and a bit of red korean chili sauce (Gochujang) and eat immediately. 

On 1/5/2022 at 7:04 AM, Fonske said:

Korean cuisine is based on rice and noodles... Most of the side dishes (banchan) made of vegetables also have sugar in them

For me the end of the meal rice soaked in flavor from the sundubu  jjigae is the best part of the meal. My wife on the other hand isn’t a rice person so she just eats the mains and banchan. The great thing is you don’t have to eat the rice and you can make some banchan without sugar. Our family fav is braised or fried tofu with chili oil. 

EA8DE95A-9D34-4EF1-921B-06129726088A.jpeg

I recommend Crisbee cast iron seasoning. I use their "puck" which is a blend of soybean oil, beeswax and palm oil. A little goes a long way with it and it really builds a nice seasoning. I used to use Crisco prior to making the switch. 

@Streetwise That griddle looks awesome! Soak it in a tote of Evap-O-Rust and then season it and it should be a fantastic addition to your kitchen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/5/2022 at 8:51 AM, Pete said:

I recommend Crisbee cast iron seasoning. I use their "puck" which is a blend of soybean oil, beeswax and palm oil. A little goes a long way with it and it really builds a nice seasoning. I used to use Crisco prior to making the switch. 

Great tip!

On 1/4/2022 at 5:44 PM, Streetwise said:

1A0131A5-414C-46D4-AD11-7A0207CE787D.jpeg.f8ce1cce3013f43bad986ceb4c794d74.jpeg

3CF6774F-B15F-46E4-A998-8C5CA2E8530C.jpeg.750be56e8b8cf4afdf6377ceddcf687e.jpeg

E621A5DA-1E9F-42E6-A278-9875145715AB.jpeg.6989cfdb2bf3d87c497185c3b4d24fe2.jpeg

Electrolysis is interesting, works extremely well but requires days or weeks.  If you have an outdoor grill, heat the griddle up and use EASY OFF HD oven cleaner or a similar Grill cleaner.  You can use oven cleaner cold by spraying and allowing to sit in a garbage bag for several hours indoors. Wash with soap and water and repeat if needed. A chain mail scrubber works if you have one or just coarse steel wool. Heat the griddle up and re-season with solid shortening, coconut oil or similar.  This week brought a cooking misadventure.  I turned $40. worth of ribs into charcoal.  My antique Dutch oven was a disaster area.  The Easy Off method allowed me to restore my Dutch Oven the same day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2022 at 3:44 PM, Streetwise said:

1A0131A5-414C-46D4-AD11-7A0207CE787D.jpeg.f8ce1cce3013f43bad986ceb4c794d74.jpeg

3CF6774F-B15F-46E4-A998-8C5CA2E8530C.jpeg.750be56e8b8cf4afdf6377ceddcf687e.jpeg

E621A5DA-1E9F-42E6-A278-9875145715AB.jpeg.6989cfdb2bf3d87c497185c3b4d24fe2.jpeg

Get on the YouTube and find Cowboy Kent Rawlins. He is my cast iron guru. Careful it is a long and deep rabbit hole. I'd like to find one of those older griddles because the new ones aren't as thick or smooth. I use grapeseed oil nowadays after a good scrub but I'm not sure how much it matters. I used bacon like Grandma did when I started out with cast iron back in the '80s. I don't think grapeseed oil was a thing in 1891.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/5/2022 at 8:45 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Good luck my mum changed to a low carb diet a few years ago to combat steroid weight gain it has been amazing for her and she really loved her bread.  She doesn't really make anything different just doesn't have the starch portion her plate (just extra broccoli) 

She does make her own granola and has that with greek yogurt for breakfast.  And eats brie with celery and nice cured meats as an easy lunch and snack.  I think the key to success is to always have safe snack foods in to keep cravings at bay. And remember the first week is the hardest. 

I like bread, but I could cut bread out easier than flour tortillas.  I do love my breakfast burritos.

• Like 2