Breeding Fish for Profit Tank Question

Andrew Puhr

Hi everyone!

So I have an 80 gallon BN Pleco Guppy Tank that I have set-up to breed and hopefully get enough numbers to eventually sell either online or to a LFS. 

The BN Pleco population has exploded (I actually pulled caves to help slow them down for a bit while the young grow up)

The guppies have mostly stagnated. I have a handful of fry but not as much as when I had guppies in a community tank. 

The plant cover is val and dwarf sagiteria with a lot of wood and rock. Duckweed on top

Not sure what else I can do to slow the plecos down and speed the guppies up. Looking for any tips!

How many BN males do you have in there ? If your trying to slow things down you might need to remove some parents to other tanks. If it’s just a pair I would suggest making one spawn point for now and increasing spawn points as necessary as  the babies grow up and you need more. Is you male/  female guppy population good ? Do you have too few males ? 

@Liz hughes

I have 1 male BN and 2 females BN (1 albino, 1 standard). I just feel like he hasn't left the cave since I set-up the tank in August. I think my guppy ratio is good. I have about 12 females and 6 or so males. Should I be feeding more often or feeding differently? It could be the population of pleco fry are eating all the extra food that the guppy fry would eat?

Feeding often is a really common way to increase spawning. Some people have also noted that making sure that fry-appropriate food in the presence of parents can encourage spawning since it means the young will have something to eat (I haven't personally noticed this, but enough other people have that I think it's worth mentioning). Note that feeding more = more water changes in most cases.

With guppies, some of the young may survive better if you have better cover plants like water sprite, water wisteria, guppy grass, or various aquarium mosses (not an exhaustive list but all of those plants are relatively common and cheap). Hope this helps.

• Like 1