Easy/ Hard

Macobe

Is their a particular type of fish that is harder for you to diagnose what is wrong with them and also an easier one? For me harder is my albino catfish. I know it should be easier because of it's lighter coloring to spot things but it's not for me. They also seem to hide more when they are ill. Easiest would be Bettas. Maybe because I have four at the moment and have read and learned quite a bit about them. I've had to deal with quite a few illnesses in my over three years of having them.

Edited by Macobe

On 12/2/2021 at 2:00 PM, Macobe said:

Looks like I posted in wrong category. I don't know how to move this. Sorry, I'm new at this.

No worries, a moderator may come along and move it. I'm like you and feel that I'm better noticing things wrong with the fish I am most used to taking care of and looking at (bettas and goldfish). I feel least secure about my otocinclus because they just aren't as active or visible as my other fish, so I wonder if I'd notice something going on with them in time to do anything about it. 

• Thanks 1

Ich and other external parasites are much more noticeable on black mollies than other mollies. Really active fish like barbs and danios are also fairly easy to diagnose since they'll be much less active when sick. Less active fish, especially ones that lay on the bottom often are more difficult to notice when they are sick. Fish with very specific behaviors can also be easy to diagnose. For example, african butterfly fish will always be at the top of the tank, flush with the surface of the water, and they will swim very little outside of feeding time. The moment the swim downward at all, you know that they are stressed.