what's growing in the substrate?

meadeam

Is the from anaerobes, some kind of fungus, or algae?  The sand is about 1 1/2 - 2" deep in the foreground.  Moving back from the glass the sand is capping aquasoil in the planted areas.

I thought I would simply aerate that section of sand, but decided to check if anybody has different opinions before I mix it up.  

sand.jpeg.7c7007a9f05e491cc3a9208798a2f7d6.jpeg

• Like 1

Its a black layer from  lack  Oxogen and other gases. It gives off Hydrogen sulfide because a bacteria defeat in those areas turns at black and of course gives of the hydrogen sulfide .That keeps plants roots away.  It easily happens in Sand aquariums that the saying substrate is too deep the easiest way from preventing this from ever happening again is removing some sand. Next I would try to stock it was something that will dig in the Sand and turn that sand over that’ll help. Or I get some once in a while I’ll a tank that I have then I put way too much sanding and I’m kind of stuck. 
I take my tongs and just mix it up down there if there’s no plants there and that’ll get rid of it too you’ll probably get a few bubbles from the hydrogen sulfide rising to the top. The bubbles won’t cause an issue and I would just worry about the looks. Plants will grow around and eventually start breaking these areas up.

What is the tank stocked with?

Edited by Brandon p

Thanks for the info.  The sand is not very deep, but right up against the glass is where it is the deepest.  It makes sense there would be little to no 02 there.  Perhaps I will pull some out, and I will definitely turn it over when I clean next.  

The tank is stocked with black neons, white clouds, harlequin rasbora, coroydoras, red cherry shrimp, and mystery snails.  It is fairly heavily planted, with the foreground (where the black stuff is) being the least planted area.

I've been thinking about adding a slightly more coarse sand, but the cories love to sift through the finer stuff.

• Like 1

What size is your tank? I would add some  Kuhli Loaches -4-8 depending on size of tank.

Black Loches do the same but are black. They may look good in the white sand and you probably won’t see them a ton. 

Maybe the dwarf chain loach. You should research these for these before you think that.

I have black loaches and I love them. Kuhli loaches are one of my favorites.

Is tank newer or been around for longer than a year.