Mbu puffer not swimming or eating

Eleanor

I've had my mbu puffer for a few weeks now and he's about 5-6 inches. He's in a big tank and the water is fine (I've done tests today and all were fine). He was eating and swimming around but for the past few days he's been sitting at the bottom not moving and not eating. Any suggestions of what to do? Or what could be wrong? @Cory

16019062337505781777916572336100.jpg

Edited by Eleanor
Added picture

• Administrators

First start with listing water parameters. Water is never really "fine". It's all part of the bigger picture.  Stress is a common cause of puffers not eating and often it's a water parameters causing it. 

• pH
  • Nitrates
  • Hardness
  • Nitrite
  • Ammonia
  • KH/Buffer
  • Water Temperature 

@Cory

pH 7.0

ammonia, nitrates and nitrites 0 

water temp is 25 degrees Celsius 

Kh/buffer 6°d 

Hardness 14°d

Cl² is 0

I have it in with severums and they're fine with each other so I don't think it's scared of any of my fish 

Edited by Eleanor

• Administrators

I'd say currently you pH is a bit low for the mbu. Do you have a picture of the tank overall? Small Mbu puffers tend to be very shy around other fish, severums could pose a problem at feeding time. How bright is the lighting?

@Cory

The severums have never tried to eat the mbu's food as I feed him muscles and I feed the severums blood worms which the mbu is not interested in. I have a white light and blue light that I put on together in the evening but during the day it only has natural light

I'm going to do a 25% water change tonight but if that doesn't help, what would you suggest? 

Thanks.

16019246526531119574872587603399.jpg

Edited by Eleanor

• Administrators

What is your tap water parameters? Changing water may make things more stressful, when was the last water change done?

I'd probably turn the temp up by a degree or two, to stimulate appetite. For background information, have you done any deworming of the mbu since you've had him? 

@Cory 

I've only ever tested the ammonia of my tap water which was 0. The last water change was done about 3 days ago. I haven't done any de worming (is that the same as internal parasites?). 

The mbu did have whitespot which I treated 3 times within 3 days and he's been healed for 4 days now. He was eating when he had whitespot so I don't think it's because of that, just thought I'd mention it. 

• Administrators

If he had med 4 days ago, he may just be recovering still. I'd recommend testing your tap water. Without knowing what your tap water is like, you really don't know what doing a water change will do. If it has lower pH for instance, you'd make the water worse. Perhaps the water changes with the meds, lowered the pH and now it's gonna take time for the holey rock to raise it again?

I personally would follow Cory’s advice on testing your source water, and raising the temperature. I’d also test your tank water again. Would you also mind sharing what testing kit you’re using?

What and how much did he last eat? Have you seen it 💩 after? 

Are you able to get a few side view photos of the puffer and maybe of the other fish in the tank too? I can only see one fish in the photo you have of the tank.