Best cold water fish. GO!

Kyle murfitt

So I've got a 20 gallon on the screened in patio and thinking it's just going to be a spare plants and quarantine tank over the winter...but... what are some cold water species I could possibly keep through the winter ? Located in Houston TX so the normal Temps through winter are high 30s and mid 40s . Rarely hits below freezing and if it does its for maybe a day or two . And I do have a spare heater too. Thanks !

Things to consider might be sun, does it get any?  if so a glass/two pane thermoplastic sheets tops will trap warm air no gaps.  That will add significant degrees. +5 or more at night so that may keep it in the low 50's with a heater on low and that may increase the types of fish you may keep.  I do this in the spring and fall here in New England.  My guppies can stay out till October that way.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 7:45 PM, Kyle murfitt said:

So I've got a 20 gallon on the screened in patio and thinking it's just going to be a spare plants and quarantine tank over the winter...but... what are some cold water species I could possibly keep through the winter ? Located in Houston TX so the normal Temps through winter are high 30s and mid 40s . Rarely hits below freezing and if it does its for maybe a day or two . And I do have a spare heater too. Thanks !

When i was choosing what fish to stock in my 75 g planted. i saw a small vid of a guy who lives in northern california who has a 100 g outdoor pond full of white clouds and cherry barbs. if that helps.

I'm about an hour's drive northwest of you, so similar climate with slightly lower temperatures in winter.   I keep goldfish in cattle troughs to control algae and mosquito larvae, and they do just fine under a layer of ice.  In fact, they survived the big freeze last February.

I also keep guppies outside in tubs, but I bring them inside when the temperature threatens to get below 50°.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 12/2/2021 at 11:38 AM, JettsPapa said:

I keep goldfish in cattle troughs to control algae and mosquito larvae, and they do just fine under a layer of ice.  In fact, they survived the big freeze last February.

Do cows (or other animals) not mind drinking the fishes' ammonia? Or maybe it's just similar to animals drinking out of a river that has fish in it?

Also, super impressive that they survived that freeze!

On 12/2/2021 at 11:48 AM, Brandon p said:

I’ve been told that my grandfather keep small carp in cattle trough‘s to keep them clean from the cattle slobbe. There were kept there through the winter with the top frozen just as @JettsPapa

Yup.  All a goldfish is is a pretty carp.

On 12/2/2021 at 11:54 AM, CalmedByFish said:

Do cows (or other animals) not mind drinking the fishes' ammonia? Or maybe it's just similar to animals drinking out of a river that has fish in it?

Also, super impressive that they survived that freeze!

After all these years I'm fairly certain the tanks have a healthy population of beneficial bacteria to handle whatever ammonia is produced by a few goldfish in a tank that's 2' tall, 2' wide, and from 3' to 5' long.  In any case, all the tanks have floats, so every time a cow gets a drink it's immediately replaced with fresh water.

• Like 2

This was for the 30’s some I’m not sure how they got water in he told the would grow fast in the tanks from the kid that ended up end in the tanks and the movement helped them from freezing. He said as long as the fish moved enough to keep a small hole in the ice the cows would make the hole bigger as they drank. 

On 12/2/2021 at 11:38 AM, JettsPapa said:

I'm about an hour's drive northwest of you, so similar climate with slightly lower temperatures in winter.   I keep goldfish in cattle troughs to control algae and mosquito larvae, and they do just fine under a layer of ice.  In fact, they survived the big freeze last February.

I also keep guppies outside in tubs, but I bring them inside when the temperature threatens to get below 50°.

Awesome thanks 

On 12/2/2021 at 1:23 PM, Brandon p said:

This was for the 30’s some I’m not sure how they got water in he told the would grow fast in the tanks from the kid that ended up end in the tanks and the movement helped them from freezing. He said as long as the fish moved enough to keep a small hole in the ice the cows would make the hole bigger as they drank. 

Having fish in a trough will not keep it from freezing.  I had to break the ice so they could drink.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2021 at 8:45 PM, Kyle murfitt said:

North American Native Fish (NANF) are frequently overlooked. They are very attractive, and come in a wide variety of colors, sizes, shapes and temperaments. 

Last year's freeze will probably not be an anomaly, and animals either adapt to environmental conditions or die. The biggest potential issue will probably be the NANF who thrive in lower temperatures don't handle water temperatures above the 80's, and no fish enjoys more than a 2° F change in temperature every 12 hours. So insulation to slow down temperature fluctuations will be key.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2021 at 12:38 PM, JettsPapa said:

I was going to mention endlers as I keep males with my neocaradina shrimp and they are pretty cool water hardy, but wasn't sure how low you could go. I'm in Georgia with two enclosed porches that get cold in the winter but would be fun places for tanks 🙂

• Like 1

There are actually a ton of great choices in the category, obviously I’m biased towards goldfish because there are so many varieties (like dogs) which is very exciting, each one of the fancies looks different from the next. 

if that’s not your cup of tea, I’d recommend paradise fish, probably the prettiest in the category and my local club breed some really beautiful blue flame paradise fish, they were fine in the outdoor tubs even in 40F. 

next choice would be rice fish just since it’s a booming scene and they are like the micro koi, 

also who doesn’t love long fin white cloud minnows. 

• Like 1