Modify regular sponge filter

Jason A.

So I was wondering if anyone has taken small bio balls or bio rings and put them in the sponge filter uplift tube? Thinking if it doesn't slow down flow to much it would be similar to the twin sponge filters that have container for the bio media just thinking of ways to improve what we already have not reinventing the wheel 

On 11/30/2021 at 4:59 PM, Jason A. said:

So I was wondering if anyone has taken small bio balls or bio rings and put them in the sponge filter uplift tube? Thinking if it doesn't slow down flow to much it would be similar to the twin sponge filters that have container for the bio media just thinking of ways to improve what we already have not reinventing the wheel 

Are you talking inside the ACO sponge filter specifically?  The space inside the center structure?  Or are you talking about threading bio rings down around the airline inside the upper tube?

It’s definitely thinking outside the box but I’m not sure it would gain enough surface area to be worth the hassle.  I have been stacking ACO sponge filters in all my tall tanks but that doubles filtration surface area.  Sponge has more effective surface area than just about anything else according to this chart.  Seems like it would be more effective to just add another sponge filter either stacked or side by side if the tank isn’t tall enough.

89E4A6F5-0003-441A-8950-CDFDD641BE20.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2