Lost all African Chilids last night

Brandon p

Woke up this morning and lost all of 7 of mY big AC. It got cool here cool that it has been. I just tested perimeter all were good. The heater in that tank went out. It got down to 68 was last not. I ordered  a heater that is a yesterday arrival times today. I have never loves a whole tank every fish over night. The whole tank. 

• Sad 8

On 11/30/2021 at 9:04 AM, Brandon p said:

Woke up this morning and lost all of 7 of mY big AC. It got cool here cool that it has been. I just tested perimeter all were good. The heater in that tank went out. It got down to 68 was last not. I ordered  a heater that is a yesterday arrival times today. I have never loves a whole tank every fish over night. The whole tank. 

So sorry… this is very sad. I wonder if it got colder than that. To me, 68°-F seems survivable. Could there have been stray current in the tank that shocked them?? 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2021 at 9:13 AM, Fish Folk said:

So sorry… this is very sad. I wonder if it got colder than that. To me, 68°-F seems survivable. Could there have been stray current in the tank that shocked them?? 

There’s always a chance I  don’t think so I removed the heater when I stared to remove rocks and notice it was cooler that it should been and removed the heater

I'm sorry to read this.  Very unfortunate, and a risk for those of us who live in colder parts of the world and keep these tropical creatures.  I live in KY, USA where it doesn't get terribly cold in the winter (not like Northern Wisconsin where I was born) but far too cold for tropical fish.  My furnace took a vacation last week on the coldest night of the year so far.  I couldn't get it serviced until the following afternoon.  I still had electricity, so the tank heaters were working.  But my house got down to the low 50s before I realized the furnace had gone out.  The heaters were struggling to keep up, so I tossed a blanket over each tank.  It reminded me how perilous it would be to lose electricity in the wintertime, and I may need to come up with a disaster plan that would buy the fish a few days at least.  

• Like 2

I’m about as far south as you can but the temps change rapidly. It’s great to we’re shorts on Christmas and 3 days have frost on everything. In summer the air has to be on, most people will keep the house temp at 72-76 in summer. For the tanks I keep mine at 80 in the house at summer I do let the temps fall in the home to 75 but have a heater set at 75 or higher. I let the discus go down 2-3 degrees.