Low Level Cloudiness

John Collins

Is this a newer setup? If so it’s probably a bacterial bloom excess water changes will prolong the bloom. Change water only as indicated by testing if you see ammonia nitrite or high nitrate. It will go away once good bacteria has established a strong enough population. Hope that helps. 

On 11/29/2021 at 9:43 PM, Guppysnail said:

Is this a newer setup? If so it’s probably a bacterial bloom excess water changes will prolong the bloom. Change water only as indicated by testing if you see ammonia nitrite or high nitrate. It will go away once good bacteria has established a strong enough population. Hope that helps. 

Guppysnail, This is not a new setup, but I made the mistake of introducing too many Indian Almond Leaves at once (I liked the look). This cloudiness popped up. I added Seachem Clarity and it turned green. Not having the room or the budget for a UV sterilizer, I did some massive water changes and now it looks like I'm back to square one. Do I understand you correctly—just sit tight and let it take care of itself?

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 6:58 AM, John Collins said:

Guppysnail, This is not a new setup, but I made the mistake of introducing too many Indian Almond Leaves at once (I liked the look). This cloudiness popped up. I added Seachem Clarity and it turned green. Not having the room or the budget for a UV sterilizer, I did some massive water changes and now it looks like I'm back to square one. Do I understand you correctly—just sit tight and let it take care of itself?

Yes just sit tight. It will clear up on its own. Sometimes days or weeks but one day you will look in and it will be crystal clear. Being not a new setup most likely days. I have victimized myself on occasion by doing too much at once as well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Update: while I waited for it to get better, it turned green. (Saw a video afterwards where Corey said to look at it in a white container because some aquarium lights can make green water look white when there's not yet much of it.) I ordered a UV Clarifier, let floating plants extend across the tank, cut back on lighting hours, and done water changes like crazy. I think I may have gotten ahead of it.

Edited by John Collins