So, Aponogeton--best plant ever, or is the joke on me?

PineSong

On 12/1/2021 at 6:12 PM, Dawn T said:

I've always thought the Madagascar lace plant is so neat, but I've also been told repeatedly for YEARS that it's hard to grow and very "delicate" as far as water parameters are concerned. Have you found that to be true?

@Beardedbillygoat1975 I LOVE that bowl!

One of the difficulties with lace plants is the holes will clog with algae.  If you’re having any algae issues, wait on getting a lace plant until your tank is more settled.  Shrimp in the tank typically help minimize algae and clogging.

On 12/1/2021 at 6:17 PM, anewbie said:

I don't think a weak light will encourage plant leaves on teh surface; i think it will adversely harm the plant growth but that is just a guess.

I do feel like the Apo. crispus that’s still in my 100 G is much more likely to throw surface leaves than the one I moved into the 29 G.  They have the exact same lights and the main difference is maturity level of the plant and depth of the tank.  It may very well be the the one in the 29 G is just less mature, but it’s now the same size as when the one in the 100 G was throwing surface leaves like crazy.  Maybe it’s just stages they go through?

Edited by Odd Duck
Typo
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 6:21 PM, Dawn T said:

My GH and KH are considerably higher. Hard water here. KH tends to be 80-just over 120 ppm, depending on the tank. GH stays up around 300 ppm. pH right around 7.4 - varying by no more than about .2 above or below that from tank to tank.

For others - different unit -  kh 7; gh 16 degree; no clue how they respond to hard water but you are right to be concern it might push the limit for some species.

• Like 1

@Dawn TIn my opinion Madagascar lace plants are easy to care for and just need the right space to do their thing. The more you provide them in terms of nutrients and light the better it will perform. Always push yourself with new plants when given the opportunity usually it works out very well. And thanks for the compliment on the bowl. 

• Like 2

On 12/2/2021 at 7:11 PM, Dawn T said:

I'm wanting to set up another small tank, so I just might get one to try. I like experimenting with new varieties of plants. Worst I can do is kill it, right?

Well the only catch is most of these plants need at least an 18 inch high tank. The lace plant can do ok in a 12 inch tall aquarium (esp the narrow leaf form) so if the plant does well you might find it filling every inch of the aquarium 😉

As to which is worse (dying or stuffing every corner of the aquarium) well that is a new topic to debate 😉

I'm glad to hear everyone's experience on this because I picked up a "betta bulb" pack last week and two of the three aponogeton ulvaceus bulbs are already sprouting and growing quickly in my 40. They were branded as "betta bulbs" but looking at pictures of full-size plants I really don't think that would fit in my 5 gallon!

• 2 years later...
On 2/6/2024 at 9:41 AM, Bob B said:

I tried these just for fun. Out of 6 bulbs 3 of them sprouted, 2 are growing reasonably but one is out of control. In 2 weeks it's over a foot tall and growing like a prehistoric weed. I've never seen such rapid growth.

bettabulb (1).JPG

You're lucky.  I bought one of those 6-packs from Petco and got 0-6