Tap water ph now lower than tank water - what to do?

Opal Rae

I am on well water that has been at 6.6 ph and my 2 tanks are usually at 6.8 to 7 ph. I just discovered that my well water ph is now 6 or possibly lower (a very pale yellow on the API Master Test Kit). This discovery was made after I did a 20% water change on a 5 gallon shrimplet tank. They all died within an hour. 

I am concerned about my 2 fish tanks. I have one 10 gallon, heavily planted tank stocked with 8 CPDs. I also have one 20 gallon long tannin water stocked with 15 chili rasbora and 4 sparkling gourami. They are fully cycled and both test 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5-10 nitrate. 

I need to do some maintenance. I am worried that the ph difference is too great and will shock or kill my fish if I do a water change. I purchased distilled water, but it tested 6 ph. 

What do you think? 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 6:53 PM, Opal Rae said:

I am on well water that has been at 6.6 ph and my 2 tanks are usually at 6.8 to 7 ph. I just discovered that my well water ph is now 6 or possibly lower (a very pale yellow on the API Master Test Kit). This discovery was made after I did a 20% water change on a 5 gallon shrimplet tank. They all died within an hour. 

I am concerned about my 2 fish tanks. I have one 10 gallon, heavily planted tank stocked with 8 CPDs. I also have one 20 gallon long tannin water stocked with 15 chili rasbora and 4 sparkling gourami. They are fully cycled and both test 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5-10 nitrate. 

I need to do some maintenance. I am worried that the ph difference is too great and will shock or kill my fish if I do a water change. I purchased distilled water, but it tested 6 ph. 

What do you think? 

Very sorry for your losses… 😔

If you haven’t yet, try water testing with several methods to ensure accuracy.

I learned a lesson long ago reading Karen A. Randall’s book “Sunken Gardens” that an aquarist should learn to go with the water parameters they’ve  got rather than chase what they’ve not got.

Personally, I’d begin to reimagine my tanks for low, low pH fish keeping. You could probably breed Amazon tetras most of us never could.

Is your well water soft as well as low pH?

• Like 1

Thank you. I am beginning to doubt my test kit. Yes, my well water is soft. 

When I started my tanks, I planned for my soft, more acidic water. My fish are healthy and thriving. I do not use chemicals to alter my parameters.

The ph of my well water has changed within the last 2 weeks. Maybe its the change of season - more tannins? cold temperatures? I don't know. I am hoping for ideas on how to go about dealing with the change in ph. Maybe a method of introducing the lower ph water?  

On 11/29/2021 at 6:41 PM, Brandon p said:

Does the water you is to fill the tanks go through a softener first. I’m on a well and the water in the house that runs through the softener has a lower ph, than water straight from the well.

Good question - no water softener. We have a shallow well so its already soft. 

• Like 1

Ignore the pH, test KH and see what the difference is from your source water to the tank water. My source water is 9pH and my tanks are at 5.1pH when I water change. I change 60% every week. Any problems that would arise from changing water would be related to GH, KH and TDS, and only if you were doing large changes. 

As for the shrimp dying, young colonies have a tendency to struggle, early on, when water changing. After about 4 or so generations, water changes should be much easier. I might even test copper levels in your source water. Small amounts is okay, but beyond that, it could be a problem.

• Like 1

@Opal Rae; You can raise the pH in your Shrimp tank a day or two before you do a water change by adding a small pinch of baking soda to your tank, test the next day to find out if it's above 7, preferably closer to 7.8 before the water change. I agree with @Mmiller2001 that copper can be deadly to aquatic creatures, but if you have whole house PVC piping, this shouldn't be a problem. You may also consider having your well water tested by a professional to find out what, if anything (hopefully nothing), is leaching into your well. 

Hi, OP. I feel your pain. I was convinced for months our municipal well water was quite hard (GH 10/KH10) and stable. I stocked my tanks and maintained them with the assumption that we have hard water.

Well, a couple of months ago, we switched to a different well for the season with GH 0/1. Almost undetectable on all tests. It's been extremely challenging to handle.

I'd pick up some crushed coral to add to your filter and/or some wondershells to help stabilize and remineralize your water gradually without having to make calculations.

Your test kit is inaccurate. Distilled water by definition has a pH of 7.0 or neutral as all impurities have been removed. Although I have heard that some test kits do not react well to distilled water for this reason and give inaccurate readings.

I would not use distilled water however as it'll become expensive over time and throw your water chemistry for a loop when used for water changes.

The only way copper piping would effect your shrimplets is if it's older than 1980 piping. Copper piping now is treated on the inside so it does not leech into source water as it can also be toxic to humans over extended exposure. Copper is favored for its thermal conductive properties.

I do agree with the other posters here. Switching wells can have other ill effects that are not pH related. I had a client whose ammonia was unsafe for human consumption because farm effluent was somehow making it's way into the well. 

Hi @Opal Rae. One thing that might be worth checking is the impact of running an air stone in a bucket of your tap water. My tap water comes out with a pH below 6 but after running an air stone in it overnight it is usually closer to 7.2. My understanding is that this has to do with dissolved CO2 that is gassed off. If the air stone doesn't make a difference and the pH remains low I would do as @laritheloud suggested and add some crushed coral. I might also stick to small (5%-10%) water changes to avoid big pH swings. Good luck!