check valve..

BuzzDaddy21

Good evening, all.

Just set up two tanks today, I`m about wore out.

One tank has a big filter with airline, had air line outside thank and I could not understand why I had water all over. (Not a lot.)

Never used check valves before. (I just learned how to use them.)

Now I`m a nervous wreck, unsure what else I forgot. (Will need more gravel that's for sure,)

Newbie, I think that term will stay with me a long time.

One more thing - what does my attachments mean. 

• Like 1

Hi there. Yes check valves are definitely important- not as much if the air pump is places on a shelf ABOVE the tank, but that rarely happens- more often than not it's below- which makes the check valve of great importance. Control valves can also be very handy if you don't have those too. 

Go slowly, be patient. Do your research. Ask lots of questions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My attachments is just showing you what you have attached (files and pictures) to posts. 

There is a limit to the amount (I'm nowhere near) but that section helps you manage things should you need to.

I'm sure you have but just to be on the safe side have you got drip loops set up between your tanks and your electrics? Easily googled for diagrams that will better than my explanation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/29/2021 at 3:10 AM, Flumpweesel said:

My attachments is just showing you what you have attached (files and pictures) to posts. 

There is a limit to the amount (I'm nowhere near) but that section helps you manage things should you need to.

I'm sure you have but just to be on the safe side have you got drip loops set up between your tanks and your electrics? Easily googled for diagrams that will better than my explanation.

Thats nice to know if I can figure out how to upload pics. & Stuff.

Drip loops?? Had to drain water out of tanks last nite, had stand to close to outlet, top tank has a short cord on filter, I don`t think a loop is feasible, will give more thought to that. (I also didn`t like how gravel / sand looked, hope to change it somehow.)

A drip loop is just ensuring that any cables that leave your aquarium (or that could get wet due to their placement ) hang lower lower that the power outlet or in the case of air pumps the machine . 

This is to ensure any water travels down and drops off before gets to the outlet and causes issues.  

What don't you like about your substrate (gravel / sand ) its a pain to change and if you go planted you might not see that much of it 

On 11/29/2021 at 5:49 AM, BuzzDaddy21 said:

Drip loops?? Had to drain water out of tanks last nite, had stand to close to outlet, top tank has a short cord on filter, I don`t think a loop is feasible, will give more thought to that. (I also didn`t like how gravel / sand looked, hope to change it somehow.)

You MUST have a drip loop or any water that overflows or wicks down anywhere could run directly into your electrical socket and electrocute you!  You can make this happen by using a surge protector power cord that’s mounted to the wall far enough above the electrical socket so that your cord is long enough to reach with some slack that hangs down slightly so water will drip off before it goes into the socket.  Like this pic (no power strip, just shows the drip loop).

29691D76-93DC-4AA7-9AC1-3CE241EADC2E.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 4:49 AM, BuzzDaddy21 said:

Everyone already answered on the drip loops.

I will show you how to add an attachment:

1. At the bottom of the dialogue box, you will see a paperclip, "add files" and "other media"

Screenshot_20211126-010625_Chrome.jpg.d868d67fb1ca8850d466d2a375d0ca7f.jpg

2. I  clicked on "add files"

Screenshot_20211126-010650_Chrome.jpg.bf173585d4db26d26863efe5daf917a2.jpg

3. On my phone, the next screen says "Choose an action" you can select 'camera' and take a picture. I selected 'files' so I can upload screenshots from where I helped someone else recently learn how to add attachments.

283395896_Screenshot_20211126-010656_AndroidSystem.jpg.2391aa3c9adc8deedca0d77d6907d5f8.jpg

4. I went into my "files" on my phone, and selected the screenshot I wanted. 

Screenshot_20211126-010709_Files.jpg.e3f4c88c13e16ba54b70a7bc33989708.jpg

Then I repeated the steps 4x to upload all the images I needed.

5. Notice at the bottom right corner of each image, it says "insert". First, put your cursor where you want the image. Then click insert, and the image will show up where you had the cursor.

6. Finally, hit "submit" to publish your post.

Hope this helps!Screenshot_20211126-010818_Chrome.jpg.0baccb17b1f566b5e1d8d5fe52fdcf1f.jpg

• Thanks 1