Raising Baby Corydoras Paleatus

Augustjd27

Hi,

I recently hatched about 20 Corydoras Paleatus and am attempting to raise them in a specimen container. Currently I have tried feeding crushed Omega One flake, frozen baby brine shrimp, live baby brine shrimp, and a powder food similar to Golden Pearls my local fish store gave me. 

Do you think this feeding regimen is adequate? Hope I can get a high survival rate. I'm doing 50% water changes daily. Thanks!

On 11/28/2021 at 8:55 AM, Augustjd27 said:

Hi,

I recently hatched about 20 Corydoras Paleatus and am attempting to raise them in a specimen container. Currently I have tried feeding crushed Omega One flake, frozen baby brine shrimp, live baby brine shrimp, and a powder food similar to Golden Pearls my local fish store gave me. 

Do you think this feeding regimen is adequate? Hope I can get a high survival rate. I'm doing 50% water changes daily. Thanks!

Yep that should be perfect. The water changes seem sufficient too. I don't have any other advice, except not to release them too small. When I hatched some, I made the mistake of releasing them into the community tank too young - only 4 survived. Wait till they are big enough to not get eaten and are able to compete for their food (the size of the babies in the video below is about as small as I would go for). I hope this helps!

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I've done it differently with good results. I used CoOp Easy Fry Food and overfed like crazy and changed water in the specimen container 2-3 times a day. Changing water in a specimen container to me meant sucking out about 1/3  of the water out with a turkey baster (from the bottom to get all the uneaten food) and filling it back up by dipping from the same tank. I figured lots of clean water and lots of food would help them survive... it did.  Just have to be careful not to suck up those tiny fellers with the baster. I second @CorydorasEthan on being careful about how big they are when you turn them in with everybody else. Anybody big enough to eat them will.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

@CorydorasEthan Chunky monkeys! 🙂 I read an anecdote yesterday of a paleatus living to age 35, so I got interested. I like their coloring more than the stripey types. I strongly consider quite a few fish and end up on not getting them, but currently, paleatus are my big "HMMM." My only concern is bio load, which is why I asked about size. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1