Cryptocryne carpet

Mr Gumby

Buy more than you expect to need. And have an excess of patience.  I put an entire tissue culture (a couple dozen tiny plants) into my 2 G tank about 4 months ago.  The ones that survived look good.  I have about a dozen left.  They exist. They have grown a little.  Some are as much as twice as big as they were at the start when I just now compared pics from the other day to back then.  The biggest are practically enormous in comparison.  🙄😝😂

84D11F09-B6FE-4E36-B5D0-B5A4ED96FCA8.jpeg

602F0BDF-7EB7-4D53-9BBA-6516E8E3F7A0.jpeg

Pigmy chain sword (Helanthium tenellum) is much easier to get a carpet than crypts but need more maintenance than crypts would (or at least Crypt parva).  Here’s pics that are about 2.5 months apart.  Pigmy chain in the foreground.

9C21D690-9808-44B1-9AEE-C8D46147BD1E.jpeg

Edit to note the second pic has some added tannins.

D862FE08-DD56-429A-954C-2440EE869120.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 3

I'm trying to slowly grow a Crypt Luscens Carpet. It's similar to the thin leaves of parva but a bit larger so my smaller fish can swim around in it. It's been about 3 months and the "fastest grower" has grown to encapsulated about 0.5 inches more area than when at it was planted

Ok so after all your helpful comments I went off to my LFS for crypt parva and returned with.....alternanthera reineckii mini and Sagittaria subulata tissue cultures lol.

All the same I'm pleased with how it's planted up. Ignore the stringy rotala at the back, I need to trim and get it nice and bushy.

IMG_20211128_185035237_HDR.jpg.ffba2f9e6a2439e4be99732974a79357.jpg

• Like 1

As much as I love crypts, I think those are good choices. The AR ‘Mini’ can be challenging since it really likes quite a bit more light than Crypts and Sag.  Your Sag should do well

The AR may be more challenging.  I’ve not had any do particularly well, but in general, I don’t seem to be as good with stem plants where I can grow most other types fairly easily.

Keep us posted. We all like to watch other people’s progress!

On 11/28/2021 at 7:11 PM, Odd Duck said:

As much as I love crypts, I think those are good choices. The AR ‘Mini’ can be challenging since it really likes quite a bit more light than Crypts and Sag.  Your Sag should do well

The AR may be more challenging.  I’ve not had any do particularly well, but in general, I don’t seem to be as good with stem plants where I can grow most other types fairly easily.

Keep us posted. We all like to watch other people’s progress!

Luckily I managed to pick up an early Christmas present in the shape of a fluval 3.0 😁

• Like 3