What plant is this?

Xsist

I need help finding out what this plant is. I bought some Java moss from aquarium coop a while back, and this was in the middle of the square I received. It started out so small that I didn't even notice it. I noticed some purple small leave growing. I transferred it to a bonsai driftwood that I got, and now it has taken over the top of it. I've searched and couldn't find an ID for the plant. Any help would be appreciated! 

20211126_182326.jpg

20211126_182313.jpg

• Like 1

I think that’s one of the uncommon in aquariums, freshwater red algaes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_algae

This is not the same stuff as red slime algae that develops in some tanks.  I’ve seen people sell this stuff for pretty decent prices, $10.00-$20.00 or more for golf ball sized clumps.  Most people seem to treat it like mosses.  Interesting stuff and a nice color change from other plants/mosses.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your reply. Interesting. I came across that while searching, but didn't think it was it. It's not slimey at all to the touch. It feels like a moss. It's springy/soft. It's not growing anywhere else in the tank either. It's in the one isolated spot. Which is why I ruled out it being an algae. It doesn't have roots, and just keep getting bigger, like moss does. Right now, it's a little bigger than a baseball. It is an interesting contrast to the Java moss that is next to it. 

On 11/27/2021 at 10:27 PM, Xsist said:

Thank you so much for your reply. Interesting. I came across that while searching, but didn't think it was it. It's not slimey at all to the touch. It feels like a moss. It's springy/soft. It's not growing anywhere else in the tank either. It's in the one isolated spot. Which is why I ruled out it being an algae. It doesn't have roots, and just keep getting bigger, like moss does. Right now, it's a little bigger than a baseball. It is an interesting contrast to the Java moss that is next to it. 

That fits exactly with what I’ve seen before and descriptions I’ve read.  I would look at it and say moss, but it’s an algae.  If you look into marine alga there are many examples like this.  And agree on the contrast, for sure.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 6:32 PM, Odd Duck said:

That fits exactly with what I’ve seen before and descriptions I’ve read.  I would look at it and say moss, but it’s an algae.  If you look into marine alga there are many examples like this.  And agree on the contrast, for sure.

Thank you so much! The mystery is solved finally. I've been trying to figure out what it was since late June. I might break some off and put it in the other tanks. It seems to be slow growing, and it's kind of a pretty algae. 

• Like 1