Thoughts on Cycling New Tank

April0617

I posted a question on a Facebook group about cycling a new tank with an established filter and the answers got me thinking... I have about 6 non fancy male guppies and a juvenile gold gourami. I'm currently running an oversized HOB filter that came with my 40 gal tank, running for years, from the previous owner, and a double sponge filter that should be good to run on it's own now. If I transfer most of my current plants/decor, most of my current substrate which is very thick, and moved the HOB to a new 55 gal for cycling purposes would I be good to go pretty quickly? I could also transfer water from old to new. I don't NEED to rush, more just curious as to how much of a difference it would make, also I don't want to accidentally crash my old tank by moving too much out needlessly in my excitement for moving day😁

taking water from the old tank to new doesnt do anything, however the old seasoned filter with a ton of established bacteria in it will. if you move the filter, plants/decor, and some substrate you will basically have an instantly established aquarium. move some of the stuff from the old tank to new, and get fish into it, or feed it. i personally would move some of the stuff with established bacteria on it, and lightly stock the tank right away. the whole point of "cycling" an aquarium is to establish the bacteria colony, and by moving items with bacteria already on them, you have done it bypassing messing around for weeks and months with ammonia, and whatever else people use.

• Like 2

Just filled the new tank!! The woman at the LFS talked me into sand for the new substrate (because I'm hoping to add some hillstream loaches in a couple months🥰), so things are a bit cloudy. I moved about 75% of my substrate along with my fake plants and rocks. I'm letting the filter run and getting the tank up to temp, will check parameters in a couple hours, but I'm guessing I should hold off on moving fish and live plants anyway until the cloudiness from the sand is cleared up?