What is going on!?”

SaltyFloridaGirl

I need some help in a bad way! My Albino Paradise fish has something going on that I cannot identify. It’s been going on for awhile now. I’ve looked at hundreds of photos and read almost as many articles. He is in a community tank and the only one that is effected. Eating and swimming normally. I’ve treated with Melafix and Top Fin’s bacterial & fungal treatment and it just seems to be getting worse. Please help! 

51CF8858-A5B5-479C-A762-E84558DB0AAB.jpeg

5A8B8F26-F269-499C-BDF1-DE9769B7BB22.jpeg

E1A8A9A5-A593-486E-99B6-61589F3CA06D.jpeg

82C3842C-55A8-4335-A27E-317D4AB463DE.jpeg

@Taco PlayzIt does look really bad and I’m at a loss😢.  I haven’t seen anything that looks like a fungus or external parasites. Haven’t observed any abuse by any other fish. He’s not flashing at all. He’s breathing normally, behavior is normal, and eats normally. I’ll be setting up a hospital tank soon so I can isolate him instead of treating my entire 60 gallon. I just need to know what to treat him with. 

Edited by SaltyFloridaGirl
Misspelling
  • Sad 1

On 11/26/2021 at 1:00 PM, SaltyFloridaGirl said:

@Taco PlayzIt does look really bad and I’m at a loss😢.  I haven’t seen anything that looks like a fungus or external parasites. Haven’t observed any abuse by any other fish. He’s not flashing at all. He’s breathing normally, behavior is normal, and eats normally. I’ll be setting up a hospital tank soon so I can isolate him instead of treating my entire 60 gallon. I just need to know what to treat him with. 

I'm very sorry.. do you have any aquarium salt?? If so I would dose whatever it says on the back. Normally Salt can help any disease or sickness no matter if it's rare or very common. Once @Colu responds it will be way better help than I can give because, I have never experienced something like that. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 1:19 PM, Taco Playz said:

I'm very sorry.. do you have any aquarium salt?? If so I would dose whatever it says on the back. Normally Salt can help any disease or sickness no matter if it's rare or very common. Once @Colu responds it will be way better help than I can give because, I have never experienced something like that. 

I sent a private message to @Colu and I also posted in the General Discussion. Hopefully I’ll get some answers soon. It just tears me up to see him in this condition. 😢

On 11/26/2021 at 1:28 PM, Taco Playz said:

Just read the back because some salt brands are different. What brand of Aquarium salt is it??

I have API. Most of my products are API. I’m reading it now. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 1:38 PM, SaltyFloridaGirl said:

I sent a private message to @Colu and I also posted in the General Discussion. Hopefully I’ll get some answers soon. It just tears me up to see him in this condition. 😢

I have API. Most of my products are API. I’m reading it now. 

Sounds good. Sorry I couldn't help that much but try the salt first.

• Like 1

I'd say to go ahead and get the fishy into the quarantine tank before doing the salt, just to protect your bigger tank.

But yes, salt is exactly what I'd suggest. (Not that I'm knowledgeable on the topic, but like Taco Playz, I've heard it helps just about anything that can be helped.)

Edit to clarify: I'd definitely just add salt to his water instead of doing a salt bath. I'm betting that's less stressful, and honestly, I don't know that he could handle a sudden major stress like a salt bath.

Edited by CalmedByFish
  • Like 2

On 11/26/2021 at 3:51 PM, Brandon p said:

I think its Skin flukes. That would account for the red lines and white lines under the skin. 

What else is in the tank with the fish so A good recommend can be made for meds

He’s in a 60 gallon community tank. I have neon tetras, an Angel, glow tetras, a koi angel, Emperor Pleco, albino cories, dwarf gouramis, butterfly loaches, and  yo-yo loaches. I ordered a tank a week ago to set up a hospital tank. Still waiting for it. @Colu recommended some meds but furan2 and bifuran+ are impossible to find. They’ve been discontinued I guess. 

Edited by SaltyFloridaGirl
Spelling

On 11/26/2021 at 3:04 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I'd say to go ahead and get the fishy into the quarantine tank before doing the salt, just to protect your bigger tank.

But yes, salt is exactly what I'd suggest. (Not that I'm knowledgeable on the topic, but like Taco Playz, I've heard it helps just about anything that can be helped.)

Edit to clarify: I'd definitely just add salt to his water instead of doing a salt bath. I'm betting that's less stressful, and honestly, I don't know that he could handle a sudden major stress like a salt bath.

I don’t have the tank yet. Ordered one from modern aquarium about a week ago and I’m still waiting for it. @Colu recommended a couple of meds but furan 2 and bifuran+ are impossible to find because they’ve been discontinued. Someone was asking $100 for a box of 10 packets of furan 2 on eBay 😡

Hi, Furan 2 is impossible to find anymore. I think I read the FDA shut it down because people weren't using it correctly. Not sure if that's true. I also needed to medicate my fish with it and found a medicine that's active ingredient is nitrofurazone just like Furan 2. It's made by the company Jungle and it's called Jungle Fungus Clear fizz tabs. You normally can find it at Walmart. If not on Amazon. I think it sells for four to five dollars.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/26/2021 at 6:00 PM, Macobe said:

Hi, Furan 2 is impossible to find anymore. I think I read the FDA shut it down because people weren't using it correctly. Not sure if that's true. I also needed to medicate my fish with it and found a medicine that's active ingredient is nitrofurazone just like Furan 2. It's made by the company Jungle and it's called Jungle Fungus Clear fizz tabs. You normally can find it at Walmart. If not on Amazon. I think it sells for four to five dollars.

OMG thank you! I’ve called every pet shop within 40 miles and spent a couple of hours searching online. I just checked Walmart for the Jungle product and they do have it in stock. You’re a life saver! Thanks again! 🥰

On 11/26/2021 at 4:26 PM, SaltyFloridaGirl said:

I don’t have the tank yet. Ordered one from modern aquarium about a week ago and I’m still waiting for it.

If you have another container that you can make safe for fish, I'd suggest that. It needs to have never had (most) chemicals in it. If it's only had vinegar, rinse rinse rinse. If it's had regular soap (not detergent), you can rub it very thoroughly with white vinegar, then rinse rinse rinse. If it's bleach, you can rub it fiercely under hot running water, then fill it with water and at least 5 doses of water conditioner, let it sit overnight, then rinse rinse rinse. Or, of course, you could buy a cheap tote since you'll be at Wal-Mart anyway! 

Anyhow, I'm glad you found the med you want, and I hope it works.

• Like 1

STOP with the salt and stop responding to the first thing someone recommends. Salt can be very bad for many species of fishes and in most cases it doesnt' help at all. For QT or treating a sick fish i use a 5 gallon pail. They are cheap and rugged. Just buy one that has never been used; washed it out (not with soap). For filtration you can use a sponge filter - sponge filter are great.

In general DO NOT use salt; however if you have a legit use of salt any salt without iodine should be fine but if it makes you nervous to use table salt then aquarium salt while over priced is relatively cheap. 

If the first thing someone recommends for a problem is use salt then you know that person is not very experienced.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/26/2021 at 5:00 PM, Macobe said:

The FDA didn't shut it down because people didn't use it correctly; they (and this seems weird to me) shut it down because the product was not submitted for FDA approval (which requires control tests). The whole thing seems weird and I'm not sure it is true. I often wonder if it is because the pandemic the active ingrediants are in scarce supply. One of these days i'll write the company and see if they will explain why the product is hard to find.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 6:00 PM, Macobe said:

I found the Jungle product at Walmart. They had 4 boxes left and I bought them all. It gets really good reviews by other users. Thanks for the info! Much appreciated! 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 7:34 PM, anewbie said:

STOP with the salt and stop responding to the first thing someone recommends. Salt can be very bad for many species of fishes and in most cases it doesnt' help at all. For QT or treating a sick fish i use a 5 gallon pail. They are cheap and rugged. Just buy one that has never been used; washed it out (not with soap). For filtration you can use a sponge filter - sponge filter are great.

In general DO NOT use salt; however if you have a legit use of salt any salt without iodine should be fine but if it makes you nervous to use table salt then aquarium salt while over priced is relatively cheap. 

If the first thing someone recommends for a problem is use salt then you know that person is not very experienced.

I didn’t use the salt because I have snails and plants in there. I’ve been treating orally with kanaplex until the rest of the meds get here today. I picked up a sponge filter and a 10 gallon acrylic tank to use in emergencies like this. 

On 11/27/2021 at 3:13 AM, Brandon p said:

Is this the only fish in the in tank if not treat the whole tank unless there are shrimp or snails. Depending on the snail you can remove them

He was in a 60g planted community tank with snails, no shrimp. I picked up a cheap 10g acrylic tank to use solely as a hospital tank and am treating orally with kanaplex until the rest of the meds arrive today. 

On 11/29/2021 at 7:55 AM, SaltyFloridaGirl said:

I didn’t use the salt because I have snails and plants in there. I’ve been treating orally with kanaplex until the rest of the meds get here today. I picked up a sponge filter and a 10 gallon acrylic tank to use in emergencies like this. 

I think my point was that people frequently recommend salt without understanding it can do a lot of harm to most fishes. I'm not even sure who started the rumour that salt was good treatment. There are a few very narrow cases where salt is helpful (esp with live bearers like guppies, swordtails, ...) but generally speaking a lot of fishes have almost zero tolerance for salt and even if they can tolerate it salt will not help with most issues.

• Like 1

@SaltyFloridaGirl to each their own opinion on using salt but IME on more than a few different breeds salt is a wonderful treatment, to start with. Sure it will not stop the worst diseases but even in those cases it’s a good stop gap till a good diagnosis can be determined. Need to be careful with most plants, snails, plecos, and more do your research on that. I’m not saying you should use it every problem that comes up but to me, again from what I’ve experienced it is a very useful tool in treatment. QTs are very important as well.

I’ve learned this process from watching ACO videos  @Cory recommends the use of salt a lot.

good luck mate 

• Like 1