Spare 10 gallon breeding setup again

Taco Playz

On 11/26/2021 at 3:51 PM, Dwayne Brown said:

@Taco Playz kribs would be to big for a 10 gallon. I'm not sure the exact tank size but I think most recommend at least a 29 for breeding kribs. You could try white cloud mountain minnows if you want egg scattering. 

That's what I was thinking but I have heard people put them in ten gallons before just to breed them. I actually have white cloud fry at the moment and I really like them.

On 11/26/2021 at 5:57 PM, GameCzar said:

In 10 gallon tanks, I'd probably go with CPDs, or  maybe pygmy cories.   If you have a LFS they'd probably be happy to give you credit for either one!

I have pygmies right now but there isn't a lot of videos on how to spawn them so I don't really know.

They are also so flipping hard to catch lol. I have tried to take them out of their 5 gallon but I just can't seem to catch them.

I bred CPD in a 10 and pulled the eggs they scattered into a dish into another 10 for quit awhile and again recently. Crazy fun fish I love them. 
edit to add…the last couple pages of my journal has videos I made on it and if you need any help just ask if you go with CPD

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/26/2021 at 6:50 PM, Guppysnail said:

I bred CPD in a 10 and pulled the eggs they scattered into a dish into another 10 for quit awhile and again recently. Crazy fun fish I love them. 

The only problem is I haven't been able to find them anywhere. The only place is at my LFS and they are only in a display tank.

@Taco PlayzFundolopanchax seem to do best with mops and pulling them to another tank. The rival males go right in and steal eggs. I think they also aren’t that prolific only 5-10 eggs fertilized per session. 
If I was you I’d look and see if you can get ricefish and or killifish eggs off of Aquabid. I’ve had great success with this. Super simple process - wildfishtanks did a video on it and I hatched 9 of 11 eggs I got using his method. 

• Like 3

On 11/26/2021 at 10:49 AM, Taco Playz said:

So I have about 5 10 gallons and I'm about to set up another one. I have decided to breed a certain species of fish (NOT LIVEBEARERS I'M DONE WITH THEM FOR A WHILE) I know it's limited in a ten gallon but it would be cool to breed something kinda rare but not really thanks!

There’s a lot of options. Call me crazy, but if you’ve never bred Kribensis before, they’re a very easy and attractive species.

Here’s a pair my son bred a few years ago…

And here’s the fry starting to color up…

You could dedicate one tank to breeding, and others to grow out. They do take awhile to grow out, but the beauty is amazing if you feed on quality foods. 

• Like 2

On 11/27/2021 at 12:10 PM, Taco Playz said:

I watched those videos and a few more and I decided I am going to make it a breeding tank. Is there anything you would recommend for me to get to breed them??

@Taco Playz Hmm would get a coconut hut or two for them to breed in, since they are cave spawners. Other than that, condition them with lots of quality foods and you are good to go!

Edited by Joe L.
  • Like 1

@Taco Playz; I should have specified to put the tape on the topside of the lid.

Danios are egg scatterers, but will eat their eggs, also Tetras will breed easily enough, but they also eat their eggs. Kribs don't get very large, but then again Portuguese Blue Rams don't get longer than 2 inches.

To breed any S. American egg layer, you'll need to make your tank a Blackwater tank.

Good luck.