About that limited water changes

Robin

I've been watching my water parameters to try and do water changes when it's necessary not when I "feel" like I should. My question is, would cleaning the HOBs even when the water parameters look good, help keep the parameters stable longer?

• Administrators

For this method, you'd want to do a regular service. To get how often, watch for when your tank has more free floating particles in the water, if that takes 4 months, perhaps you service filtration every 3 months. A lot of people use way too much filtration so they might be able to go 6 months to a year, With less filtration might be weekly or monthly. Like my store is every 2 weeks essentially from having 1 sponge filter and hundreds of fish in a 20g. 

10 minutes ago, Cory said:

For this method, you'd want to do a regular service. To get how often, watch for when your tank has more free floating particles in the water, if that takes 4 months, perhaps you service filtration every 3 months. A lot of people use way too much filtration so they might be able to go 6 months to a year, With less filtration might be weekly or monthly. Like my store is every 2 weeks essentially from having 1 sponge filter and hundreds of fish in a 20g. 

Thanks. Part of my problem is I'm an over feeder but if I can get that under control I'll be able to do as you say. I'm going to start feeding primarily bbs so that might help.

I to suffer from overfeeding. Is bbs considered a more accurate feeding style? I've really been wanting to start with bbs but I had both of my lowered legs/feet operated on back to back so money is tight atm. That being said high quality foods aren't exactly cheap either !

21 minutes ago, Ben Ellison said:

I to suffer from overfeeding. Is bbs considered a more accurate feeding style? I've really been wanting to start with bbs but I had both of my lowered legs/feet operated on back to back so money is tight atm. That being said high quality foods aren't exactly cheap either !

I don't know about more accurate but I feel like I end up with less mess than I do with flakes and less floating around not eaten like I do with other kinds of food.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Ben Ellison said:

If you haven't done bbs before you might start out small with one of those table units or one of Dean's DIY's set ups so you don't invest a lot until you see if you like it.

4 minutes ago, Paul said:

You’ll be surprised how much stuff a coarse sponge on your intake keeps from getting into your filter which reduces the number of times you need to clean your media. 

This tells you how bad I am  about over feeding. I have those coarse sponges on my intakes and inside my Hob's and it still gets icky. I have sterbai, fat ones, and a cuckoo catfish and I worry they don't get enough to eat. 🙂

1 minute ago, Robin said:

This tells you how bad I am  about over feeding. I have those coarse sponges on my intakes and inside my Hob's and it still gets icky. I have sterbai, fat ones, and a cuckoo catfish and I worry they don't get enough to eat. 🙂

Do you feed any sinking pellets or are you just feeding flake?

3 minutes ago, Paul said:

Do you feed any sinking pellets or are you just feeding flake?

I try to change it up but mostly flakes. What I'm going to do is switch to bbs mostly with an addition of sinking bug bites, ect and occasionally some repashy.They mostly hang out behind this huge piece of wood I have in the corner. I have a piece of pcv that I can use to drop food back to where they are most often.