When will most online stores stop shipping fish to colder climates?

Rikostan

I see a lot of stores use heat packs to ship fish during colder times of the year, but is there like a cut off temperature or time most stores stop shipping?

I'm in the snow belt in upstate NY, and while we don't get as cold as Minnesota or North Dakota, we do get down to single digits for quite a few days each winter.

I won't be ready to stock my newest tank until early November, but maybe as late as December. Temps will hover around freezing most days during that period, will they still ship then?

TIA!

{EDIT} I realize I can just contact a few stores and find out what their polices are, but I was hoping to get sort of a general rule for shipping

Edited by Rikostan

Im in northern Wisconsin (already dropping into the 30s overnight) and depending on the company they start limiting shipments at this time of year until around March-April. Other places will monitor the weather and put your order on hold if they don't feel it is safe. Most places online will usually list their personal policy under a shipping FAQ. I'm always concerned that my personal schedule will make it so I can't be at home right when fish arrive. If I were home during the day I would probably order more stuff...maybe its for the best lol

Thanks for the response @Travis!

I am home all day, and our mail lady always honks the horn, so I can run out and get packages, even if they would have fit in the mail box. She's pretty awesome that way, so no worries there.

This is my first winter living the fishy lifestyle in the internet age, so I am just trying to gauge what to expect. Sounds like I might need to buy some of the fish early. I suppose I can just leave one batch in the QT tank longer. 6-8 CBD should do fine in a ten gallon for a month. Not sure what to do with the rainbows though... Hopefully the tank cycles quickly. I did put a sponge filter that was in another tank in there.

Edited by Rikostan
  • Like 1

I did my first batch of online fish ordering last winter, and while we don't get anywhere close to Wisconsin or Minnesota temps here in Colorado, we get some sub zero temps and a lot of single digit lows. I ended up paying for overnight shipping for some of my orders when the weather wasn't looking like it was going to be decent for a week or two, everything shipped, and everyone made it here safely.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, faydout said:

I did my first batch of online fish ordering last winter, and while we don't get anywhere close to Wisconsin or Minnesota temps here in Colorado, we get some sub zero temps and a lot of single digit lows. I ended up paying for overnight shipping for some of my orders when the weather wasn't looking like it was going to be decent for a week or two, everything shipped, and everyone made it here safely.

Awesome, thanks so much, exactly the type of feedback I was looking for!

• Like 1