Tap water contains at least 20 ppm of nitrates! Help!

Lexi B

I had to move back in with my parents, so I've never had aquariums here before now. I was really perplexed that my nitrates were so high for how often i do water changes and my small bio load, so i tested the water against all my taps and some bottled water. All of my tap has nitrate in it, the bottled water control has none. What do I do? I can't keep the nitrate levels down in my tanks because every time I do a water change, I just replace what was lost. The live plants can't keep up with it either. 

Add another high nitrate consuming plant like pennywort to the tank. Also you could add pothos to the hang on back filter. Don't use fertilizer that contains a lot of nitrate. If your plants show signs of nutrient deficiencies try Flourish, it is very low in nitrates.

• Like 1

Yup, I agree. I’d go for lots of plants and a nitrogen free fertilizer. You might have to get several different ones to piece together something that has all the micros plus potassium and phosphate. Another option is a reverse osmosis system or just doing water changes to keep levels under 40ppm.