Need help with how to anchor wood to side

Odd Duck

On 11/26/2021 at 11:56 PM, Torrey said:

Will the slate blend in with your rocks for the tank?

I don’t currently have any rocks planned for this tank although I’ve been going back and forth about using some rounded river rocks.  I’ve got many rounded river rocks of various sizes and colors that I may place around some branch tips.  I also thought about getting more black pebbles like I used in the Jack Dempsey pots or multi-colored pebbles.

I’ve got some natural mixed color but overall light colored pool filter sand and I’ve also got black blasting sand.  The tank trim, seals, back, and stand are all black so I’ve been planning black even though the light colored sand is probably a more natural look that would fit with the “biotope” idea better and the rock would better match the lighter sand.

I might have to change my mind about the black vs lighter sand.  I was thinking the black to make the fish stand out more - higher contrast and to visually disappear, plus match the black sand in the 100 G that’s in the same room on the other side of the TV.  It doesn’t have to match the other tank, though.  It’s far enough away it wouldn’t matter and the 100 trim is brown, stand is brown.  Ironic, the lighter colored tank got the black sand, the black tank might get the light sand.

The slate is black and the back of the tank is made with black glass.  I plan to remove some of the excess slate once I have the branches attached to it so there is minimal slate around the edges.  I will be tucking some grassy looking plants into any gaps between the branches to reinforce the “stream bed margin” effect (probably Lilaeopsis brasiliensis) to further hide the slate and base of the branches.

The slate will be visible from the left side of the tank but that’s not the end that is most visible.  The tank will primarily be viewed directly from the front and right side.  I’ll probably be the only one to see it from the left side as I move around it inspecting and doing maintenance, etc.  Once the excess is removed, it should nearly disappear with the black back and plants hanging over it.

Edited by Odd Duck
Typos
  • Like 2

On 11/27/2021 at 2:49 PM, Brandon p said:

I prefer the black especially if there is going to be a tank  near one that has black sand

I’ve got black in most of my tanks since I also like it better most of the time.  But I also like the lighter sand, too, and it fits better with my pseudo biotope theme.  The tanks are almost 6 feet apart.  It would be OK to use either.  I think I’m going to have to get out my rocks and play with them a bit to see if I’m going to be using them.  If I use rocks, I’ll probably switch to pool sand.  No rocks will probably push me towards black sand.  I might not decide until I get my structure made and try to place rocks in the tank.  Once I get my “framework” done, I usually let the rest kind of flow with rocks and plants.

• Like 3

On 11/27/2021 at 7:26 PM, Brandon p said:

I like white or light yellow for some of the dark plecos/ black/white. Also a platinum angelfish and white sand an black background there are a lot of fish that will work

My goal is koi angels, orange laser cories, and probably rummynose tetras but I’m not set on the rummynoses, so either substrate will work colorwise.  Open to suggestion on another species of mid to upper water dither fish from South America that would complement the colors of koi angelfish and not bother anybody, but at least somewhat reliably hang together (the mostly reliable schooling is one reason I’m thinking rummies).

I’ve also thought about hatchetfish since this tank will mostly be viewed from a seated position so I easily see the water’s surface from below and hatchetfish would be very visible.  I’ve been toying with adding hatchetfish to my 100 G tank also, since the same applies for the visual line.  Most of my current fish in the 100 are bottoms or mids.

Edited by Odd Duck
Clarify
  • Love 2

On 11/27/2021 at 8:31 PM, Odd Duck said:

My goal is koi angels, orange laser cories, and probably rummynose tetras but I’m not set on the rummynoses, so either substrate will work colorwise.  Open to suggestion on another species of mid to upper water dither fish from South America that would complement the colors of koi angelfish and not bother anybody, but at least somewhat reliably hang together (the mostly reliable schooling is one reason I’m thinking rummies).

I’ve also thought about hatchetfish since this tank will mostly be viewed from a seated position so I easily see the water’s surface from below and hatchetfish would be very visible.  I’ve been toying with adding hatchetfish to my 100 G tank also, since the same applies for the visual line.  Most of my current fish in the 100 are bottoms or mids.

If you are going with a solid lid, I vote hatchet fish. 

The reason I asked about the slate, is because the wood itself isn't very heavy, and as you have already heard, there are magnets that come already safely sealed for the aquarium. You don't have to attach the wood to slate.

You can join the wood by notch joints and superglue gel inside the notch. You can attach a magnet exactly where you want it with the superglue, and nylon fishing line to tie/wrap the magnet to the wood.

I have occasionally attached the "roots" to a bamboo skewer, and run the skewer through a couple of magnets and superglued.

My biggest learning experience was to always glue a felt "backer" to the outside magnet. Otherwise, you risk scratching the glass when sliding the magnet into place. I have put silicone on the interior magnets for the same reason. I learned that if I 'seal' the interior magnet in silicone and *then* attach to the wood/bamboo skewer /other decoration, the silicone and magnet are less likely to separate. I can't wait to see the finished project!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Torrey I just don’t trust the wood to not rot and release itself from the glue/magnet.  That’s why I intend to drill holes in the slate and counter sink them like I did for sinking and securing into position the 2 wood pieces in the 14 G cube onto one slate.  The epoxy is just a way to make it more secure.  I want to make it into one piece.  I’ve seen many plants/epiphytes come unglued from wood because the wood is slowly rotting and releases the glue before the plant roots get anchored.  Sometimes the plant releases the glue but it’s usually the wood rotting away from the glue.

I need this to be secure and stable with minimal risk of collapse.  I’m certain the epoxy should hold the slate to the magnets since both are inorganic and not likely to rot.

Good thinking on the silicone inside and felt outside.  I’ll be sure to do that.

• Like 1