I’ve been bit twice in 4 days!

Atitagain

Last Thursday I was feeding my Oscar, he likes to probe his head out of the water. I guess he wants the food a 1/2 second quicker than if it hit the water? Well he lunged a bit further than normal and gently hit my finger, I could feel his teeth felt like rough sandpaper, but he immediately fell back. Then last night I was doing a water change on my African cichlid tank and reached in to adjust where I wanted my siphon, boom I felt something tugging and my little finger. My venustus basically had the very tip of it in his mouth and started THRASHING!!!! (ok maybe that’s a lil dramatic, lightly thrashing 😛) Both times I of coarse got soaked with tail splashing and me splashing 🤣🤣🤣.

only once have I actually been “hurt/ damaged” by a fish. 20-ish years ago my needle nose gar brushed against my arm and I received  the tinyist of scratches.

im sure there’s much more exciting experience out there but those are mine from the depths of my aquariums.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Love 2

Years ago, I had an oscar who was determined to take a chunk out of me. The other oscar in the tank wasn't like that AT ALL, but him? Hubby used to laugh at me, as I'd mentally prepare for battle when opening the tank to do maintenance, water changes, and such.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Never by an aquarium fish but oh man I got, got good by a wolf fish. Maxed out size of 117cm. I thought I killed him, NOPE, he turned around and clamped. Through two pairs of gloves and Atlas blue my thumb was black for days. I wish I could post pics from my work, but I cannot. I am just glad he got me with a molar and not one of his tusk teeth.

My beardie used to be overzealous with raspberries. Between that and being half blind he got my finger a couple times. I don't know if he counts as a fish though. I wonder if @Guppysnail has had such experiences.

Also @Atitagain how dare you adjust HIS siphon. If you ask me it was well deserved 😈

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 2

I kept a piece of 1/2" PVC (what I had on hand at the time) next to the tank. I'd lean it against the inside edge when I worked in the tank. All I had to was wave it in front of him and he'd back off, but that was the only way I could keep him from biting at me. I can only assume he was being territorial and protecting his mate. They were a pair, though they never produced any offspring. The female was easy to manage, but he was sure a pistol. His name was Wrangler. Maybe I should've given him a different name. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/23/2021 at 3:27 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Never by an aquarium fish but oh man I got, got good by a wolf fish. Maxed out size of 117cm. I thought I killed him, NOPE, he turned around and clamped. Through two pairs of gloves and Atlas blue my thumb was black for days. I wish I could post pics from my work, but I cannot. I am just glad he got me with a molar and not one of his tusk teeth.

My beardie used to be overzealous with raspberries. Between that and being half blind he got my finger a couple times. I don't know if he counts as a fish though. I wonder if @Guppysnail has had such experiences.

Also @Atitagain how dare you adjust HIS siphon. If you ask me it was well deserved 😈

I was never bitten by my beardie. He was an odd one. Instead of biting food he stuck his tongue out to grab it like a frog. Never bitten by one of my fish but got nipped by a spanish mackerel i caught and was not careful enough though. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

This handsome guy is my buddy and loves being petted and hand fed. Wherever I am in the house, he's inevitably in the part of his tank that is nearest to me.

HOWEVER, if I dare alter HIS house, he attacks me.

He's very smart as well. When I vacuum, he never attacks the vacuum, he looks up and lunges out of the water to bite my arm! And he's been successful far too often!

But just look at his beautiful faccia brutta !

6.jpg.753d3334cfa1d9a2055f959af4a1041d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 3

On 11/23/2021 at 3:29 PM, dasaltemelosguy said:

This handsome guy is my buddy and loves being petted and hand fed. Wherever I am in the house, he's inevitably in the part of his tank that is nearest to me.

HOWEVER, if I dare alter HIS house, he attacks me.

He's very smart as well. When I vacuum, he never attacks the vacuum, he looks up and lunges out of the water to bite my arm! And he's been successful far too often!

But just look at his beautiful faccia brutta !

6.jpg.753d3334cfa1d9a2055f959af4a1041d.jpg

E una faccia di un angelo col cuore di un diavolo. 😊

My Kelp crab will take your whole finger if are not careful, and I would not dare try Ursula Flerken!

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Blood parrots in my house live up to their name. I mean, they want my blood... real bad, especially one feisty female.  She succeeded once by jumping 6" out of the water and biting my unsuspecting fingers holding the siphon. She launched herself out of the tank on the floor trying again a week later. I learned my lessons and these days all she can do is release her fury upon the innocent vacuum that keeps her nasty butt alive. 😃

• Like 2

@Fonske. It’s crazy the temperament of some fish. To jump out of the tank after you is insane in any way I can think about it. How could she be so furious to think lunging out of the water would ever have good results? But then again I think like a human, who really knows what is going on inside their heads.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2021 at 12:13 PM, Atitagain said:

It’s crazy the temperament of some fish. To jump out of the tank after you is insane in any way I can think about it. How could she be so furious to think lunging out of the water would ever have good results?

She just tried to repeat her first success in a more challenging situation, when my more cautious hands were higher up and to the side of  the tank rather than above it. Parrots are smart, but she miscalculated and didn't have the element of surprise anymore.

To be fair, she doesn't only go for me, she attacks anything that comes into her tank...but I still love her 😇 😃.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2021 at 9:23 AM, Guppysnail said:

Off topic but I had to go here…very intimidating 🤣

6ABC3254-9E36-4626-98AD-ADFC2137C4C6.jpeg

E8A404AD-1768-4605-9E6E-7F6FA562D448.jpeg

I always associate any lizards with one that looks like yours but had the dinosaur looking spikes on his back(sorry only way I can describe not sure what there called). Anyway when I was like 8-9 I had never heard of let alone seen lizards. We visited some friends of the family and they had a whole bedroom set up for one. We had to be real careful squeezing in the door quickly shutting it behind us, so I’m already terrified. This thing kinda came running out hissing and chomping it’s mouth. I may have actually #1nd or possibly #2ed in my pants. They wouldn’t let me out of the room. I went to the car and wouldn’t come out of it. 
I can laugh about it now but…

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I had a vicious female red Betta I called Rosa. She used to jump out of the water while I was feeding and when I had my hands in the tank, she would go after my fingers non-stop. Funny thing is, I never saw her show any aggression to her tank mates, just me 😭 She never drew blood, but I had to warn people when they wanted to feed the fish tank 

On 11/24/2021 at 11:34 AM, AnimalNerd98 said:

I had a vicious female red Betta I called Rosa. She used to jump out of the water while I was feeding and when I had my hands in the tank, she would go after my fingers non-stop. Funny thing is, I never saw her show any aggression to her tank mates, just me 😭 She never drew blood, but I had to warn people when they wanted to feed the fish tank 

Awww are you the little guy making all that big noise600667F0-AAA9-46BF-B263-4D21AC73B14A.jpeg.1ffa2331d336ae4ea26e6476e6a52e5c.jpeg?

When my Jack Dempseys were in breeding mode they would both bite me.  Never drew blood of course, but could sometimes get a good pinch in when I wasn’t watching close enough.  All I had to do was watch and give a quick swirl of my fingers and they would back down, but you get to cleaning and stop watching and BAM!  Startling every time when I wasn’t watching!

• Haha 2

On 11/24/2021 at 11:23 AM, Atitagain said:

@Odd Duckthats what I’m saying getting startled and splashing a gallon of water all over myself and floor and everything 🤬🤣

I’m not typically one to jump after decades of caring for animals, but I may have splashed a bit the first couple times the big guy hit me!  😆 

• Haha 2

I will say this - i have only 1 of my 8 angels that will eat from my hand and I'm always amazed at how gentle he will take the food from me - he is extremely careful not bite my fingers - having said that i have another angels that loves to bite me whenever i do a water change - she just waits until my hand is in the tank with the python and wham she'll snap as hard as she can - she is a real devil. One of these days i'm going to give her a good solid spanking.

• Haha 2