Water Wisteria & Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus

Steve A

Water Wisteria & Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus

A couple of months ago I had a bad algae outbreak and ended up turning off the light for about 6 days.  That did clear most of the adage but it took its toll on the Water Wisteria & Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus

I have lost a lot of the lower leaves so do I need to cut them about 1” from the gravel and then trim off the top part and replant them and leave the bottom part to sprout again?

I also have some brown stuff on the leaves, I am guessing that is another form of algae?

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

• Like 1

I have not had the no-light experience you describe, but PSO always grows like mad in my aquarium. I think I would leave the PSO alone and see if it grows back as it was before. My experience would indicate that the PSO would also do fine if you trimmed it back, so either way.

Glad your algae problem got better.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 10:01 AM, HH Morant said:

I have not had the no-light experience you describe, but PSO always grows like mad in my aquarium. I think I would leave the PSO alone and see if it grows back as it was before. My experience would indicate that the PSO would also do fine if you trimmed it back, so either way.

Glad your algae problem got better.

Thanks HH, It has been about 2 months and where the leaves on the center part of the stems fell off they have not started sprouting again but the very base and tops are show new growth

On 11/22/2021 at 10:14 AM, Patrick_G said:

Trim away all the bare stems on both and replant the tops. They’ll grow back in no time and be much fuller looking. 

Thanks Patrick, do I need to leave the base and roots or just pull then and trim the tops and replant just that part?

On 11/22/2021 at 10:23 AM, Patrick_G said:

I only the tops because I have good luck with that method, but it’s I’m pretty sure I’ve had an old Wisteria base sprout a new stem so it’s worth a try. 

Thanks Patrick, I will try it.  I can always pull the base latter if they do not sprout.