Brown African Knife Fish Not Eating (55 gallon)

alphy

Hopefully this is the right place to post, since it's not really a disease per se.

I recently got a brown knife fish from my local fish store and everything was going well. However, a couple weeks ago I was doing a water change and decided to wipe off some of the algae that was growing on the glass. Since then, it has refused to eat and runs and hides when I come in the room.

I tried putting in a bunch of food at night (since they like to come out more at night) and leave the room, but it still doesn't touch the food. After the first week and a half, I tried putting it in a separate aquarium, thinking maybe being away from any other fish would help it feel safe. In the small tank, it would come out from hiding with me in the room, but still wouldn't touch the food. It was happily eating frozen food before this. I even got some live food from the local fish store and it would just look at it and swim away.

The water parameters are fine. No ammonia or nitrites. The nitrates are in the normal range and I change the water regularly. I even tried soaking the food in some food flavor enhancer meant for finicky fish (recommended by the pet store) but that didn't work either.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Brown knife fish are a nocturnal feeder eating snails insects and worms you could try baby crickets earthworms and drop in some Ramshorn or bladder snails also dim lighting and plenty of plants and caves to provide cover

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

Agreed knife fish are particular and sensitive fish so there could be something else causing this stress. Something as simple as too much indirect light or something in your house vibrates at a frequency it doesn't like. Switching to live foods may help. They really enjoy black worms. It may trigger it's appetite once more to where you can switch back to the foods offered.

Knife fish will also form close bonds with their handler and often only take foods from 1-2 individuals and be very particular about food schedules, like cats. Brown knifefish are primarily captive bred now so I have confidence that he will behave during meal time with some patience.

I had the same idea about the live food. I tried black worms and it would just look at them and swim away.

The crazy part (to me) is that it used to come out to get food when I would come to the tank. Now it runs and hides (after I cleaned off some of the algae that one time).

I'm hoping that you are right and it goes back to normal soon. :(

• Like 1