Timers?

Dawn T

I recently had to put my aquaponics pump on a timer. Explained all that in the update for that setup.

My question is - I'd like to find a timer that I can program for 15 minute increments. The one I've got was all I could find to buy locally - it only allows for 30 minute increments. Can anyone recommend a timer I could use for a water pump that has smaller increments than 30 minutes on it? The 30 minute one is working okay, but I think it would be better to run the pump for 10-15 minutes each hour. It would ebb and flow better. Suggestions, anyone?

I didn't even think of that! Duh. LOL That would be great, I think, since resetting timers after power outages is a real pain, and having it on my phone would save me having to do that. Probably should consider that for my lights, too. They're all on timers - 2 of them digital. Those 2 don't lose the schedules when power goes out, but I have to reset the current time on them.

• Like 2

She does, but the schools tech policy is that they are not allowed any tech that is not approved by the IT department and the school can take any tech in the building for inspection other then your phone. There are a lot of rules that are intended to keep the kids safe but do not make much sense in that regard. We also have fairly regular power outages or spikes due to the wind so having something that we do not have to go to the school to reset is important.

Eesh. Yeah, you wouldn't want to open the door to give them the authority to take her phone, since it would be connected to this timer.

The basic timer I currently have on my pump might work for your wife. It turns off during a power outage, but as soon as power comes back on, it goes right back to work. It won't be operating at the correct time until adjusted when your wife returns to her classroom, but at least it'd run and operate lights or whatever for the right amount of time. I bought it cheap at Walmart. I originally set it up for ON at 8:00, OFF at 8:30, ON at 9:30, OFF at 10:00, etc. Due to brief outage a couple of weeks ago, it's now coming on at about 8:15 instead of 8:00, so all the times are off by 15 minutes, but it's still on for 30 minutes, off for an hour, as set. I just haven't bothered to readjust the dial to the right times, since that doesn't matter so much for the purpose I'm using it for. Nothing digital to reset.

20211120_134811.jpg.ab11cfba768b6a7b0ab3a5929a758ebc.jpg

BTW, readjusting it is super simple, since you just dial to the right time. I have the same kind of timer on a couple of tank lights. I just don't bother with them unless electricity has been off for more than about 30 minutes, then I dial to the correct time whenever I think about it. I'm not all that worried if lights come on from 8:35-4:35 instead of 8:00-4:00. LOL

Sorry to say but the timers from aquarium coop I tried to set up a circulator to come on 15 minutes an hour. It would only allow me 12 or 13 (I think) time points I obviously needed 24. With that being said I could absolutely be wrong and couldn’t figure out how to get it done. But I tried everything I could think of even asking my son who is a lot smarter than I.

this one from Amazon has 15 minute increments time points. These are what i replaced with the Kasa timers they work great. And two outlets.

BN-LINK Heavy Duty Mechanical 24 Hour Timer Dual Outlet 3-Prong Accurate Indoor for Lamps Fans Christmas Lights White AC 1875W 1/2 HP, UL Listed https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MVEMD76/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_GS23AR294XHWZS8JH7QW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

That's very good to know. For what I want to do, I definitely need the freedom to set 48 time points - 24 on, 24 off, alternating.

Just checked that link. Looks like that works much like the one I have, only with 15 minute increments instead of 30. That'd be perfect for the usage I have in mind. That constant on-off definitely puts a twist on timer usage. LOL

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 3:24 PM, Ender97 said:

What kind of timer would be recommended for where you have no net or electronic signal? I am setting up a tank in my wife's classroom and it can not be connected to any network. It also has to be able to keep going even if there is a power outage.

I have used the indoor version of this wireless timer when I didn't want to use any apps or wifi. It keeps track of time independent of power outages with the batteries than run the remote. Does not need internet or wifi to work. Just has to be within range of the remote.

They have non wireless plug in timers that work the same way but may have a smaller internal battery to keep their time and program thru short outages.

These are the same timers as aquarium co-op but I got them from Amazon. 
62372708-520E-45AE-9BB4-5C5D664D3873.jpeg.47d79c73dec4c3613ac348b8497cd7be.jpeg29D83A23-7E74-4590-B2DB-7604BEAEF32C.png.4f04f00b3b8ed7d54e199b3ac128e1cf.png2DAAA398-9D2A-4CC5-B7B9-E308C9D67ECB.jpeg.f4adf065eb77841e804a255fa79f84c6.jpegA5633A49-C833-434D-AEF1-E07DAC0CB32B.png.6825f6cccbafe4dd2a36fc7e126d6b7b.png
66833DD0-B670-4948-ABA6-098A5F02A0E6.png.ba876ee56cf3fca78dcf59ed1951a630.png

Kasa Smart Plug Mini 15A, Smart... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091FXLMS8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

1 is the box

2 is-my programs I’m using now

3 is the program I’m in. You can change the days you want and times.

4 & 5 are setting that show I set this up to turn on and from 12-4. 

really easy to use. There is an older model that limits the times you can have it go on and off and with you can return.

@Brandon p I bought one of the other timers suggested above, which allows for 15-minute increments around the clock, and it's working perfectly. I've got it set to turn on for 15 minutes, off for 30 minutes, and repeat throughout the whole 24 hour period. No hiccups or issues.

I wish the Kasa allowed for slow brightening and dimming of lights like my current timers. It'd be perfect then, and I'd get them for all my lights. At least, everything I've seen on the product so far says it can't do that. If anyone knows different, I'd love to know about it. Then I wouldn't have to resist time on timers like I do when we have power outages. My current timers hold the programmed schedules with no issue when power goes out, but they reset to midnight for the current time. That means I have to reset the time on them any time there's a power hiccup or outage.