Bucephalandra color issue

Dawn T

The Bucephalandra in my little 5g shrimp tank looks funky. I'm not sure if it's normal for this species or due to a deficiency, so I thought I'd show all of you a photo. This is the first time I've had this plant. It's in a low-light setup (better light on order to boost to medium lighting). Water parameters are stable, with nitrates right at 10 ppm as of this morning. The Crypt wendtii "tropica" and Anubias nana "petite" are growing well and appear normal, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any deficiencies in the tank for THIS plant. So, is this an unexpected but normal color pattern for Bucephalandra, or am I dealing with a nutrient deficiency the other plants just aren't as likely to show?

20211120_100627.jpg.2fd86f88a10c6fe0bacf6389d1efecf0.jpg

Oh, forgot to mention, there's also Crypt parva in there. It's so slow growing, I'm not sure if it's actually growing, but it's not melting or showing any odd coloration.

On 11/20/2021 at 12:20 PM, Dawn T said:

The Bucephalandra in my little 5g shrimp tank looks funky. I'm not sure if it's normal for this species or due to a deficiency, so I thought I'd show all of you a photo. This is the first time I've had this plant. It's in a low-light setup (better light on order to boost to medium lighting). Water parameters are stable, with nitrates right at 10 ppm as of this morning. The Crypt wendtii "tropica" and Anubias nana "petite" are growing well and appear normal, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any deficiencies in the tank for THIS plant. So, is this an unexpected but normal color pattern for Bucephalandra, or am I dealing with a nutrient deficiency the other plants just aren't as likely to show?

20211120_100627.jpg.2fd86f88a10c6fe0bacf6389d1efecf0.jpg

Oh, forgot to mention, there's also Crypt parva in there. It's so slow growing, I'm not sure if it's actually growing, but it's not melting or showing any odd coloration.

Do you know what kind of Buce it is?  There are a few variegated Buces, but I wouldn’t expect one to arrive randomly, they’re typically pretty high priced at this point.  This may be not quite enough light or a nutrient issue.

Tell us more about where you’re at with your ferts and we’ll try to help.  I definitely get better color from my Buces with a bit better light.  They tolerate pretty high light for a “low light” plant.

It was sold to me as "Bucephalandra Green Wavy". (I checked my invoice for that order.) The photos I've seen of that variety show no yellow markings, so that's what made me immediately lean toward some sort of deficiency. The way its yellowing is weird, though. I haven't seen that with any of my other plants in any tanks, when I HAVE run into nutrient deficiencies. It DOES remind me of photos I've seen of the "Bucephalandra Wavy Dark Green", which appears to be variegated rather than solid dark green. That has me wondering if I got that one instead of the other. The source I got mine from sells both, as well as a bunch of other varieties of Buce. If I ordered one and received the other, the fact their names are so close to each other wouldn't raise any red flag for me. It's a new genus for me.

If this is a light issue, it'll be corrected soon enough, since I've got a new light in transit right now for that little tank. Ordered a small Finnex from AC to replace the one that came with the tank.

I only rarely give this tank ferts, because the nitrates stay right around 10-25, and I don't want to hurt my shrimp in that tank. When I do dose, it's with Easy Green, and then only if nitrates drop to 0.

On 11/21/2021 at 2:25 PM, Dawn T said:

It was sold to me as "Bucephalandra Green Wavy". (I checked my invoice for that order.) The photos I've seen of that variety show no yellow markings, so that's what made me immediately lean toward some sort of deficiency. The way its yellowing is weird, though. I haven't seen that with any of my other plants in any tanks, when I HAVE run into nutrient deficiencies. It DOES remind me of photos I've seen of the "Bucephalandra Wavy Dark Green", which appears to be variegated rather than solid dark green. That has me wondering if I got that one instead of the other. The source I got mine from sells both, as well as a bunch of other varieties of Buce. If I ordered one and received the other, the fact their names are so close to each other wouldn't raise any red flag for me. It's a new genus for me.

If this is a light issue, it'll be corrected soon enough, since I've got a new light in transit right now for that little tank. Ordered a small Finnex from AC to replace the one that came with the tank.

I only rarely give this tank ferts, because the nitrates stay right around 10-25, and I don't want to hurt my shrimp in that tank. When I do dose, it's with Easy Green, and then only if nitrates drop to 0.

Make sure you are dosing P, K and micros. They are just as important as N.

• Like 1

Buce appears to be in full melt mode. I guess it couldn't let my Crypts melt alone with the light change. 🙄

Question - can I trim back the Buce? At this point, enough leaves are melting off that it'll be REALLY leggy if it bounces back? I know some plants don't like to be shocked further by trimming when they're already in trouble, while others actually bounce back faster if trimmed back. Is Buce one that will survive and possibly bounce back faster if I trim it? I've never had it before, so I wanted to get input from those who have more experience with it. Advice?

Buce can melt when conditions change. The new leaves will be better adapted to the new conditions. You can trim leaves, but I'd keep the whole rhizome intact. A lot of time if I have all the leaves melt off a buce rhizome I just stick it in the back of the tank and forget about it, then a few months later you'll be surprised to find a healthy plant!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ive done the same with just a rhizome and a few months later while trimming a java fern... wow there it was my once leaf less anubias congensis had now grow 5 new leaves, they were not that tall but i had totally forgot it was there, its still short but i get a new leaf once a month (its an anubias after all, 

I have noticed in a plant grow out tub i often use that if a slow grower is left to float it will grow faster i currently have A. Nana and some others in a tub and when i added some ferts the other day i foud a 4+ inch flower on one of the Nanas (never had one flower before😑

• Like 2