Black Friday coming up

William Lynch

Good morning everyone,

I had a quick question regarding the Finnex stingray...

I currently have 1 on my 40 breeder and while I think it does ok at growing plants, I find that I struggle with anything that isn't low light. Also despite having the light placed in the center of the tank, the front and back corners definitely become dead spots and don't get the same amount of light as the center. 

My question to you all... With black friday coming up would it be your recommendation to either try to grab another stingray and double up the lighting? OR look at upgrading to a Fluval 3.0? I have looked at the the Fluval and it has 120 degrees of light spread which I believe is more than the stingray so I'd be able to just do the one and take advantage of being able to play with a wider variety of plants? 

I'd appreciate any feedback and user experience that is out there. I hope you all have a great weekend! Thanks!

I don’t have a 40G breeder but I do have a Fluval 3.0 and I absolutely love it. But I have to think the 40s are to wide for even a single  Fluval? If it was me I think I would get another stingray. As that would for sure cover entire tank and you would be able to upgrade in plant selection.

I am of course not an expert, this is just a opinion of a random fish keeper.

On 11/20/2021 at 5:57 AM, Atitagain said:

I don’t have a 40G breeder but I do have a Fluval 3.0 and I absolutely love it. But I have to think the 40s are to wide for even a single  Fluval? If it was me I think I would get another stingray. As that would for sure cover entire tank and you would be able to upgrade in plant selection.

I am of course not an expert, this is just a opinion of a random fish keeper.

Thanks for the reply. The capabilities of the fluval seems mightly hard to pass up but if i'd still be in the same situation I am now then it doesn't make much sense. Hopefully somebody out there has an experience with a 40 breeder and a 3.0. These wide tanks are a blessing and a curse!!

• Like 1