Any language nerms here?

AnimalNerd98

On 12/17/2021 at 9:42 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Can't translate, though. My brain just switches as needed.

I am told that this is the difference between "learning a language" and *living* a language. 

My Native American friends and family tell me language is learned from the land, that the land teaches her language to her children. That the language we learn shapes the way we see the world, and the definitions we give the language shapes our future potential. 

I was surprised to learn that there were originally over 500 *language root families* in the Americas at contact (1492). For contrast, Indo-Europe only had 4 root language families at that time. Five if one were to include Basque.

Very humbling, and an important (but frequently omitted) history lesson from a linguistic perspective. 

On 12/17/2021 at 10:17 PM, eatyourpeas said:

I'd like to think about it as "discovery" as opposed to "recovery", but there are days when it is hard to look at it that way

It feels more like recovery on my end, and there's a lot of Discovery that accompanies the recovery. 

@eatyourpeas, do you have family struggling with strokes also? [Edited to clarify responses]

@Flumpweesel, probably the most important perspective, is how your stepdad sees his journey. 

Edited by Torrey
Clarification of cranial flatulence