The Dumbo Ear Guppies are a fan of these DIY Spirulina Veggie Cubes I made 🐠🥦

Arty Mars

On 11/20/2021 at 2:57 AM, Patrick_G said:

Nice looking breeding setup!

I heard Cory or Dean mention something about putting an airlift near a mound of pebbles so when the fry hide in the pebbles they get sucked into another tank or a fry catcher. I made something similar with an undergravel panel (and no gravel) so fry just get sucked down through the holes in the undergravel and up the airlift into their own section of the tank haha. I divided the tank with glass panels that only go go up about 2/3rds, so they do get the entire tank to share most of the month, but every 25-30 days I can just lower the water line and seperate the females into their own divided section each so they can give birth in peace away from the males 😅

On 11/21/2021 at 3:17 AM, Minanora said:

They are veracious! Mine love to steal my plecos repashy.

The grate you have on the bottom looks like a plastic storm drain grate. Is it?

@Minanora Yeah it's one of those platforms that go underneath substrate for undergravels 😄

Edited by Arty Mars
  • Love 1

On 11/20/2021 at 12:02 PM, PineSong said:

As my kids would say, those guppies are going ham on that spirulina!

@Arty Mars,I like that fry saver on the bottom of your tank, and the glass divider. Where do you get those?

A bit of Garlic & leftover brine shrimp mixed in helps encourages them to eat their veggies 🥦 If only kids were that easy haha!

Yeah it's an undergravel substrate panel, and the glass dividers are second hand Window Louvers and glass panels from old doors. I bought a lot of my tanks from an ex-hobbyist who moved interstate, I mentioned I build my own tanks but buying them second hand is a lot less work, he had a huge stack of 2 foot by 6 inch glass windows he gave me that i've been cutting to size for betta boxes and dividers haha.

He threw in all his old breeding gear as-well. There was an entire box full of about 30 undergravel panels and I finally found a good use for them haha. There was also a box of medicine and old products, most of the use by dates were from 2001 so I think they had been sitting in his garage for like 20 years, back when undergravel filters were the stock standard practice haha. 

• Like 1