I tested my water

scott the fishman

Hi, to me at least your nitrate, and iron look a bit low. I think I've heard that nitrate should usually be around 20 ppm as a target. 30 fish might not be producing enough waste depending on what species they are, how much their fed, etc. (Also if your nitrate is low that seems to point a bit in the direction of other nutrients being a bit low perhaps?) As far as I can tell API Leaf Zone doesn't seem to provide nitrogen, so a different fertilizer might improve things. (I haven't had too much experience with fertilizers, so I'm not sure which one is the best, although I've heard really good things about Aquarium Coop's Easy Green.) Best of luck!

On 11/18/2021 at 8:36 PM, FlyingFishKeeper said:

Hi, to me at least your nitrate, and iron look a bit low. I think I've heard that nitrate should usually be around 20 ppm as a target. 30 fish might not be producing enough waste depending on what species they are, how much their fed, etc. (Also if your nitrate is low that seems to point a bit in the direction of other nutrients being a bit low perhaps?) As far as I can tell API Leaf Zone doesn't seem to provide nitrogen, so a different fertilizer might improve things. (I haven't had too much experience with fertilizers, so I'm not sure which one is the best, although I've heard really good things about Aquarium Coop's Easy Green.) Best of luck!

thank you! most my fish are barbs tigers and cherry  few loaches and 8 teteras one common pleco 5 inches and a red tail shark 4 inches . i was feedinging once a day now every other day

On 11/19/2021 at 12:46 AM, Flumpweesel said:

as @FlyingFishKeeper said either let the nitrate build a bit before  the next water change and feed the plants or find a more complete fert. 

if your plants are struggling now but were doing fine it is probably the reduced feeding that has cut their food in half as well. 

thanks for the reply! good info i just started to reduce feeding. think doing water changes once a week is the problem. i will keep testing the water and find that happy spot. when my nitrates are at 20ppm. then wait one more week and see if my nitrates are over

the 20ppm mark. does that sound like a good strategy?

• Like 1

I agree, your Nitrate looks low. It’s the most important macro nutrient so you want to make sure you have plenty available for the plants. The API leaf zone only has potassium and Iron so it’s not going to do the job on it’s own. I’d get a comprehensive fertilizer like Easy Green that has all three macronutrients and a long list of micros. 
What kind of light do you have and how long do you leave it on? How long have the plants been in the tank.  Also, can you post a picture of your entire tank? 

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2021 at 7:45 AM, Patrick_G said:

I agree, your Nitrate looks low. It’s the most important macro nutrient so you want to make sure you have plenty available for the plants. The API leaf zone only has potassium and Iron so it’s not going to do the job on it’s own. I’d get a comprehensive fertilizer like Easy Green that has all three macronutrients and a long list of micros. 
What kind of light do you have and how long do you leave it on? How long have the plants been in the tank.  Also, can you post a picture of your entire tank? 

thank you! i have a aqueon optibright 48-54"  led light plus the led light strip that came with the tank and stand combo. i have the light set for 8 hours a day. on my days off longer. the plants have been in my tank for four months now. the pics are the two species of plants that are not doing well.

IMG_20211119_180428.jpg

IMG_20211119_180451.jpg

IMG_20211119_180502.jpg

IMG_20211119_180513.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/20/2021 at 10:31 PM, RadMax8 said:

Your plants that aren’t doing well appear to be swords. They are heavy root feeders and will benefit from some root tabs. I know Aquarium Co-op has some good ones. I also used to make my own using Osmocote+ and gel capsules. 

thank you for the reply! i be getting the ferts and tabs from coop.

On 11/21/2021 at 9:05 AM, Minanora said:

@scott the fishmanWhat are those test strips you're using? I'm interested in testing for metals as well.

My pleco is well fed but he's all about eating my crypts and Java Fern.... Just for fun I guess. They must be tasty.

I agree with everyone about ferts. Especially if your nitrates are super low.

SORRY for the delay in my reply i have not had internet for 3 days. the strips are JNW direct aquarium and fish tank strips.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 9:05 AM, Minanora said:

@scott the fishmanWhat are those test strips you're using? I'm interested in testing for metals as well.

My pleco is well fed but he's all about eating my crypts and Java Fern.... Just for fun I guess. They must be tasty.

I agree with everyone about ferts. Especially if your nitrates are super low.

JNW direct Aquarium and fish tank strips

• Thanks 1

On 11/21/2021 at 8:37 AM, Bev C said:

Beautiful tank..... my bristolnose pelco eats swords  can not have them in my tank. I use Easy Green liquid and Easy Green  root tabs 

thank you! i just put my fish on a diet. think my common pleco might be having a snak. i know  other things are cousing leaf root and holes . since my nitrates are so low i am sure thats a big issue. i havent done a water change in two weeks and my nitrates are at 10 ppm. up from 0.